Traveling across states

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Annette Terry, Nov 25, 2020.

  1. Annette Terry

    Annette Terry New Member

    Sep 3, 2019
    Atascadero, CA
    I will be traveling across several state lines with my goats and was just told that I need ear tags for them. Where do I get these ear tags to identify them, they aren't registered, and what are they supposed to say?
    Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. LadySecret

    LadySecret Well-Known Member

    Apr 20, 2013
    Western Oklahoma
    You probably need scrapies tags and you get them from your vet.
    Moers kiko boars likes this.

  3. ksalvagno

    ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    You need to know the state requirements you are going to. Then you need a vet certificate. The vet should know or be able to find out what tests are needed for the certificate.
    Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. Goat Whisperer

    Goat Whisperer Well-Known Member

    Dec 3, 2018
    You’ll want a health certificate, your vet should be able to tell you the individual state’s rules. Are they ADGA registered dairy goats? I can’t speak for other types, however if they are ADGA registered you should be able to use their tattoos. We always use scrapie tags for our unregistered goats.
  5. goatblessings

    goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

    Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Yes you will need a vet certificate - also called a CVI, and must be 30 days or less within travel. Depending on the state requirements, you may also need health tests such as TB and brucellious done, which can take some time- the tag will probably be scrapies unless they are tattooed and accompanied by their registration papers. Do some research as to state requirements, your vet may or may not know what the requirements are for the state you are traveling to.
  6. Moers kiko boars

    Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

    Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma can contact your vet. Tell them the states you are going to. Then set up an appointment for a will get tested for whatever state requirements and any injection required. The vet will have all this information. The goats usually receive a scrapie ear tag..and a vet copy of medical information. It will cost a little but not too bad. Ive had 3 cross 3 states and it was 275.00. Then I had 1 cross 4 states and it was 125.00. So it depends on each state requirements and what your vet charges.
    toth boer goats likes this.