travois anyone?

Discussion in 'Pack and Working Goats' started by ohiogoatgirl, Feb 14, 2011.

1. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    hello! i am wondering if anyone uses a travois? i been searching the internet but i still can't figure out how it is attached... like how do you fasten it so it doesn't just slide off the animal' butt. i'd like to try a travois with the goats and with my dog. thanks!

2. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    you need to have some sort of light harness to fasten it to. If you're going to be putting much weight at all you should be sure it is well padded. You can see in some photos that it is tied to a saddle....

3. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    well yesterday i made one and it seems to be just a few inches too short... i think it would work perfect for my dog if i had a harness for her. i really need to work with her more because she is behaving very badly and i seriously wanted to drown her... but i won't really. i'm gonna work with her today. maybe i can make a harness for her. i've been doing internet searches but i they are all on dogs or people pulling them. and the pics don't show enough detail for me to get a good look.

4. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
  5. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    the one i made the other day works great on the dog. i had made a rope harness for her to pull an empty sled and i just changed it to fit over a folded up fleece blanket and i figured out how to attach it. there is a loop that goes around in front of her nack and chest at the cross of the travois and the harness get tied to the "shafts" on her sides. so it doesn't slide off.

in that first pic/link i don't think i would want to sit that close to the horse's butt.... it's bad when a goat farts when you are milking... i don't think i'd sit there. lol!
    thanks for the links!

6. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    that sounds great! post some photos!

lol no prob. :)