Treating Coccidia With Corid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Caroline Jackson, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Caroline Jackson

Caroline Jackson Member

Feb 11, 2020
    North Carolina
    I have a few goats that I have dewormed with a combination of Safeguard (fenbendazole) and Cydectin (moxidectin) yesterday. Neither of those dewormers treat coccidia so I was wondering if I should go ahead and treat for it just in case. I have a bottle of the Corid 9.6% Oral Solution that I thought I would use if you think I should.
    I have a doe and a kid that have a low score of the FAMANCHA chart and it hasn't really improved a whole lot with the dewormer I used. I gave the recommended dose from my goat vet so I know they're getting the correct amount.
    Tell me what you think, should I go ahead and treat for coccidia just in case. If so, what is the dosage? Should I give it in concentrate, add it to water, etc.?
    They aren't sick at all, I just want to prevent it.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It won't hurt.

Mixing undiluted Corid liquid:
    Mix 6 tablespoons corid to 16 oz water....
    Or the Pre mixed- Shake well before use.
    solution give as follows
    then dose it at ...
    30cc per 100lbs
    15cc per 50lbs
    7.5 per 25 lbs
    treat individually for 5 days

3. Caroline Jackson

Caroline Jackson Member

Feb 11, 2020
    North Carolina
    Okay, I’ll mix that up today and start the treatment!! Over the years I have figured out that prevention is key with goats!
    I have two 10 pound kids, and one 5 pound kid. How many cc’s do they need?

I also have a one week old baby that’s around 5 pounds but she probably doesn’t need the treatment yet. What do you think?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia

In my opinion, I'd hold off on both.......... there is lots of resistance to Corid so you really only want to use it when there is an issue. If you feel strong about treating them proactively , definitely skip the doe if she is asymptomatic but consider the kid. Adults are a lot less susceptible to coccidia, so it's generally not an issue. The other thing you can do is feed the kid (assuming he or she is on grain) a grain that has the coccidiostat mixed in to help with prevention =)

5. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    @SalteyLove has some good advice on the preventative feed she uses.... it's actually where I got the idea from , since I wanted to avoid issues with the kids but also be conservative.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Prevention using corid does not cause resistance. However wormers do.

I start cocci prevention on 1 month olds. 3 weeks is on the edge of possible though.
    Doing it every 21 days helps break the cycle, with kids under stress, so the cocci is unable to explode causing issues.
    Any younger then that, does no good, as they are too young to have an issue.

So how old are these 5 and 10 lb kids?

Ashlynn and Moers kiko boars like this.
  7. Caroline Jackson

Caroline Jackson Member

Feb 11, 2020
    North Carolina
    Okay, I will just hold off on giving her anything then!!
    The 5 pound kid may be closer to 10 pounds now but he’s a month old and the 10 pound kids (which may be heavier now) are 4 months old. They’re just smaller, but staying fat, but I figured they may have been a little stunted due to worms.

8. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    I didn't know that - Why is it that Corid "doesn't work" for so many goat owners ? Is it something besides resistance?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes, it is underdosing and not giving it for 5 full days.

I have been using it since 2000 and it still works for us. ;)

10. Caroline Jackson

Caroline Jackson Member

Feb 11, 2020
    North Carolina
    I’ve heard a lot of good things and bad things, but usually the bad comes from incorrect usage. The people that had good outcomes usually gave it for a strict five days at the correct dosage.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The are old enough then, so I would give it.

3.75 cc's- 12.5 lbs, for the 10 lb goat
    1.875 cc's- 6.25 lbs, for any 5 lb goat.

It won't hurt to round out the cc's, if it makes it easier.

It won't hurt to give this amounts.

12. Caroline Jackson

Caroline Jackson Member

Feb 11, 2020
    North Carolina
    Thank you so much!! I didn’t want to just guess on the amount to give them so I so appreciate you giving me the information!!

13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    The FAMACHAs won’t improve in a day!

I wouldn’t necessarily treat for coccidia unless you’ve noticed severe weight loss or loose stool.

I’d rather you wait a week or two and then get a fecal done to see where you’re at.

artzkat likes this.
  14. Caroline Jackson

Caroline Jackson Member

Feb 11, 2020
    North Carolina
    The doe with low FAMANCHA is very underweight compared to my others so I went ahead and started treatment to try and improve her weight! Her stool isn’t very soft right now, but I didn’t want it to come to her getting sick before I started treatment.

15. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Red cell for the bad famacha. 6cc for a week then once a week until you see any improvement. If at any time you see improvement stop it.

16. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    6cc per 100lbs!

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    As I have mentioned before, it is better to do cocci prevention, rather than allow it to silently strike.
    In many cases you won't even know they have it, until it is too late.

They will not get immuned to corid.

Cocci is unforgiving and doesn't take long to cause severe stomach damage, they can never adsorb all nutrients thereafter. When damage is done.

Kids will not grow as well and adults do not thrive.

Cocci doesn't always show scouring signs, as it once did.

Best to do the prevention now, instead of waiting and risking the goats health.

Glad you have started corid. ;)

18. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I’m super curious for my own educational purposes - why might dewormer resistance occur with ivermectin for example, but not with a drug for coccidia? I know coccidia is a Protozoa - and the drugs are more like antibiotics - but antibiotic resistance happens as well. So why not for coccidia? I’ve heard of Corid resistance - I know it will happen if the drug is under dosed or not given for the full five days. If that can happen, you cannot say resistance is impossible, correct?

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No resistance will happen, if you use it while a goat is growing, with prevention, their bodies will be able build their own resistance against cocci, until they reach closer to a year old.
    After that, usually most adults will not get it under normal circumstances, good health, and cleanliness.

All goats have cocci numbers.
    Low count is OK and normal.
    When they get stressed or sick, cocci can explode cocci.

Ashlynn and Moers kiko boars like this.
  20. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I still feel like my question is unanswered.

Why do resistances happen with other dewormers but you say don’t worry about cocci prevention?