treating mastitis

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Laurel_Haven, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Hi everyone! I haven't been on for a while due to my busy kidding season in March. never enough time in the day with having 20 some babies and some of them are bottle babies (we all know what they demand) and then does to milk. So finding time to write on forums is a luxuary for me. Thankfully things are slowing down so I hope to find more time to visit.
    But I come now seeking advise from anyone who may have any. :help:

It seems one of my best milking does has mastitis. I have never dealt with this before. But knew instantly when I tried milking her today. First she kicked my hand away when I tried to reach under her... this is unlike her. Then I felt her udder was warm to the touch and harder on one side. Then when I milked her the milk was thick and stringy. It sperated immediately in the bucket. 12 hours prior she was milking fine. So I am catching it early on... and this is the course of action I have choice to take even though I was told several different approaches to take. If anyone has any tips or advise that may help my doe improve... please please offer it. I do not want something to happen to her or her udder. If I am missing something please let me know.
    This is what I am doing for treatment...
    1. Applying warm compresses for at least 15-20 minutes every 3-4 hours.
    2. keeping her milked out, and massaging her udder afterwards
    3. She is on penicillin (6cc's first dose, and the 3cc's for next 5 days)
    4. Infused with ToDay (half the tube) and dexamethazone (3cc's)
    5. Nutri-Drench just for a boost and probios because of the penicillin.

This was all day one... any suggestion for day two that may be helpful? Am I doing the right thing? I have read the horror stories and seen the pictures. I do not want it to get to that. I love this doe and am worried for her. What else can I do?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    glad you caught this early. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. I hope she turns around real quick for you :hug:

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Did she have a temp? What is her weight? I would have her on a much higher dose of Pen G for the following days. 1 cc per 10 lbs for 7 days.

Dex will take down the swelling, but it will also take down the immune system. I would not give her any more of that.

I am praying for your girl. :pray: Mastitis is nasty. I know first hand after losing one of my does to it.

4. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    You need to continue putting the mastitis tube in every day - or if you can put it in twice a day that's even better. Keep her milked out, do the compresses, massage her udder, and keep her on 6ccs penicillin per day rather than going down to 3.

Hope she does well for you!

LW

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sounds like you are going about it the right way already.....continue the today...treatments and the penG...and all...of what you are doing.... :hug:
    As ...RunAround ..mentioned ........how is her temp?

I will pray........ she will pull through this OK......... :pray:

6. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Sounds like you are doing all you can... Hope she pulls through!!!!!!! :pray:

7. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Just wanted to update on how we made it through day 2 with our fight against Mastitis.
    So far she has had 2 infusions with the ToDAY and we are continuing the Penicillin at 6cc's instead of 3 cc's. It seemed to be working at 6 cc's as it dropped her fever. So from everyones advice on here, I kept it up at a higher dosage. The "Dex" was a one time thing yesterday. It is a steroid and like RunAround suggested it shouldn't be overused.
    We have been doing the milk out, warm compresses, and massaging like clockwork. And all of this seems to be helping. We are seeing some improvement already. While yesterday morning when I first found she had this, she did have a low grade temp and wasn't eating like she does. Tonight, no temp and eating like a trooper. While her udder is still a bit tender, it is not near as red or warm as yesterday. She seems more comfortable.
    So we will continue what we are doing at this time... as it seems to be working. We have high hopes she will pull through this and with little scarring. I know we are not out of the woods, and we have a long way to go, but so far so good!
    Thank you so much everyone! :grouphug: I will continue to keep you updated on our progress.

8. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I know this is prolly gross, but could you get some pics of the milk and udder for me? Just so I have a visual referance in case it happens to me.

9. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    As I already told you Tina, I think you are doing a wonderful job with her! I can't think of anything else to tell you! :hug: I know you will get her through this just fine :hi5:

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats some promising good news Tina! you will pull her through this

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

You can add some vitamin c chewable tablets in there....they help with the mastitis as well. Are you putting one tube of today per side of her udder or just half a tube?
    beth

12. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Sounds like she will pull through fine!! :clap: . Keep us updated..

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Just checking in. How's your doe doing?

14. Shantarskiye

Shantarskiye Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Indiana
    I have found that mixing olive oil with peppermint oil and rubbing it on 2-3 times a day helps along with what you are doing.

Hope she's doing well.

15. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Oh I am so sorry that she got mastitis, I fear my goats getting it. BUt I am going to save your post because it seems like you got all your bases covered! Thanks for share what you are doing so those of us that have not dealt with it can learn!

16. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I am so sorry about your doe!! That is hard to deal with!!
    Please tell me, can the mastitis cause blood in the milk as well??
    Just curious..thanks..