The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I treated the whole herd tonight.

Our vet suggests doing this twice a year as part of our worming program.

One fun part today was Bonnie my alpine bottle baby LOVED the ivomec! haha She wanted more and kept trying to steal it from the other goats as I was giving it.

Granted, she was way different than everyone else. Everyone else was like YUCK.

So I was looking at the fiascofarm website and I don't see if I need to do a follow up dose?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
if there's a worm problem, it's 3 times, 10 days apart, then 30 days after the last dose.

our vet says to do ours once every 6-8 weeks. I've had success with herbals, so I haven't actually had to use any on one girl since feb and the other since end of may.

bonnie's a strange one for sure. mine hate it!

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And I wanted to apologize in advance. I know I could have searched through posts on here, but my vision is REALLY bad right now with my cranial pressure so reading is difficult. Thats why I'm not posting much.

So thanks for just giving me the answers I need without me having to do tons of reading. :)

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
if there's a worm problem, it's 3 times, 10 days apart, then 30 days after the last dose.

our vet says to do ours once every 6-8 weeks. I've had success with herbals, so I haven't actually had to use any on one girl since feb and the other since end of may.

This is a bit excessive. The 3 times 10 days apart kinda makes sense and seeing where you live, I can understand that pretty good. But the 30 day later doesnt make any sense at all. The reason behind the 10 days apart is because when you worm you kill the live "worms". Then at the 10 day again mark you reworm to kill the "worms" that were eggs during the first worming and survived it. You are also catching most of them before the have a chance to lay more eggs. So the third dose 10 days later is actually a just in case some got missed or laid eggs at just the right time. So the 3, 10 days apart sound very logicial. But the 30 days later doesnt. It would effectively kill any lives ones but during that 30 days they would have laid eggs and would survive the 30 day worming.

I like that you are trying the herbal wormer. I think in your area it would be a much better choice.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Ouch, TDG remind me to ask how often people are worming before I buy a goat from them. That type of thing must be breeding the most resistant worms ever and goats with no immunities to them at all.
The every 10 day thing is supposed to be a salvage worming on an animal that has just gotten so bad or for a newcomer to your herd to clean them out. Never would I recommend repeating it over and over.
The goats must be given a chance to build immunities to the parasites they live with. If they don't, they are just creating more weak goats in their off spring.
Continuously killing off all the worms you can, leaves only the strong resistant worms to breed with each other. In effect creating super worms.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
I agree with Goathiker...the wormer needs time to do its job...over worming taxes the system...creates resistance... It best to worm only as needed...I do the 3 times 10 days apart only in heavy burden goats...then only as needed..

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I do not worm unless it is needed. It is getting too hard to find an effective wormer, and I refuse to contribute to resistant worms.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
This is a bit excessive. The 3 times 10 days apart kinda makes sense and seeing where you live, I can understand that pretty good. But the 30 day later doesnt make any sense at all. The reason behind the 10 days apart is because when you worm you kill the live "worms". Then at the 10 day again mark you reworm to kill the "worms" that were eggs during the first worming and survived it. You are also catching most of them before the have a chance to lay more eggs. So the third dose 10 days later is actually a just in case some got missed or laid eggs at just the right time. So the 3, 10 days apart sound very logicial. But the 30 days later doesnt. It would effectively kill any lives ones but during that 30 days they would have laid eggs and would survive the 30 day worming.

I like that you are trying the herbal wormer. I think in your area it would be a much better choice.
last time I used chemical wormer was 3 times, 10 days apart for a doe who recently kidded and had horrible worm or cocci issues. wouldn't stop scouring for the life of me. I had to hit her hard with the chemical wormer. now, I do herbal and it works so much better for here since it's ALWAYS hot and wet. parasite heaven in the tropics.......

·
2,203 Posts
I also recommend doing half the herd, or better yet, quarter of the herd at a time. Makes it easier to catch all phases and "immune" worms. It also keeps the population of worms that your wormer didn't kill in check by remaining in the systems. Without the other worms in the way, they can multiply quickly and actually increase your chance of resistance a lot faster in this manner.

Just something to think about. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts

Hi -- notice you had luck with herbal remedies-- how did you give it to them? Ours don't seem to like the dosage balls, even when covered in moloasses, etc.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Hi -- notice you had luck with herbal remedies-- how did you give it to them? Ours don't seem to like the dosage balls, even when covered in moloasses, etc.
i sprinkle on their food. i have one picky eater who sometimes will eat the dosage balls and sometimes don't, so i really have to mix hers in with her food. another way i find works is to mash it in with bananas. they love bananas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts