treats to hide medicine

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Tapsmom, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Tapsmom

Tapsmom Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Litchfield County, CT
    Ok. I am about to dose the herd with replamin. Because of the size of my herd, I get the large tube. But I had ND, so I have to pump it out and dose it by the teaspoon. I have not found a smaller syringe that will not clog for dosing. I was thinking of making some type of 2.5 mg "treat balls" but I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions. I figured that size would be good so I could give 1 to the ""teenagers" and 2 for each adult. I was also unsure if I made baked treats if that would affect the efficacy of the replamin. Any thoughts? My herd is 21 goats. 4 bucks, 2 wethers...and the rest are does (including 4 retained from this year)

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I use the large tube as well. I use this applicator gun:
    Probios Applicator Gun for 300 mL tubes
    3-tab dosing applicator is used to administer oral paste or gel from 300 mL tubes.
    Probios Applicator Gun Key Points: features a lock pin that allows you to deliver a 5, 10 or 15
    mL dose
    for use with Probios, Vets Plus, AgriLabs, Kaeco, Quick Start, Trophy, etc.

I squeeeze the amount into a scoop shaped corn chip, then use a broken chip to cover it. I first made sure, the goats accepted a plain scoop chip, then offered the Replamin chip sandwich. They all love it.
    I am not sure about dosing for teenagers, but I have always given 5 ml.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    My goats are plate trained, I put the replamin on a plate and each one licks it up.

Replamin works well with the corn chip or animal cracker method, make a sandwich to hide it.

Don't bake it.

Can always mix with molasses or peanut butter and a little flour, roll into a bowl and feed raw.

MadHouse likes this.
  4. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
  5. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I got that from TGS, I can’t claim the brilliance of it. I tried it and my goats took to it.
    (My girlfriend says “Huh, WE never get scoop chips!”)

6. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I either mix it into their grain directly or mix it into applesauce. ;)

7. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I don't treat my goats - and they are very suspicious when I try. Most of mine love the replamin straight out of the tube. Those that don't go in the milk stand and get their dose. Even my bucks in rut suck it out of the tube.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  8. Tapsmom

Tapsmom Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Litchfield County, CT
    I think I will have to get the dosing gun, then. Some eat it..but many are suspicious lol. And I will also try some of your other suggestions. You guys are great!

9. Feira426

Feira426 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    I give mine raw in treat balls. Don’t know for sure if cooking would damage the Replamin, but I suspect it might.

The treat balls I do are peanut butter, molasses, and oats. My goats love them. They get really pushy when I give them out, but I think it’s still easier, both for me and them, than force feeding it.