The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I basically just continually offer my goats anything I happen to have on hand that is safe for them to eat until I discover what each one likes.

My buck loves almonds, for example. My best doe absolutely will not eat any treats EXCEPT animal crackers - but ONLY the costco brand, no other brand! My first freshener will eat every treat in sight but her favorite are Carr's whole wheat crackers. Honestly none of my goats really like fruits or veggies. Most of them like treats that fall under the general umbrella of "cookies," which is good because I'm trying to teach them the word "cookie!"

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I basically just continually offer my goats anything I happen to have on hand that is safe for them to eat until I discover what each one likes.

My buck loves almonds, for example. My best doe absolutely will not eat any treats EXCEPT animal crackers - but ONLY the costco brand, no other brand! My first freshener will eat every treat in sight but her favorite are Carr's whole wheat crackers. Honestly none of my goats really like fruits or veggies. Most of them like treats that fall under the general umbrella of "cookies," which is good because I'm trying to teach them the word "cookie!"
Thank you, never thought about crackers

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,687 Posts
Sometimes I think the problem with my goats is they won't even try the new food, so what I like to do is stick the new thing in their grain dish and then sometimes they gobble it up without even noticing. After that then, they realize that the new thing is actually delicious. Sometimes you just have to trick them into trying it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sometimes I thinks the problem with my goats is they won't even try the new food, so what I like to do is stick the new thing in their grain dish and then sometimes they gobble it up without even noticing. After that then, they realize that the new thing is actually delicious. Sometimes you just have to trick them into trying it.
Yea I tried that quite a few times and they just ate around the treats

·
Registered
449 Posts
Start small when poisoni, I mean, adding treats to their grain! An animal cracker can be crumbled, a touch of stirred in applesauce, minutely diced carrot greens. Keep at the new food until they eat it and then start crumbling into larger chunks, adding a bit more sauce, slicing carrot greens.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My goats WON'T eat any treats what so ever, not veggies, not fruit, and not even the little goat treats you but at the store there so picky. Is anyone else's goats like this or are mine just weird? And does anyone know any suggestions for picky goats?
My goats are picky too. Both will eat animal crackers. But my buck will eat peanuts too. They won't eat fruit or veggies at all. They turn their noses up to everything I offer.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
My goats are goofy, they like, tortilla chips, fig newtons, peanuts, pretzel sticks, wheat thins, oyster crackers, Fresh apple slices, dehydrated apple slices (not freeze dried though) baby carrots, carrots circles (sliced on a mandolin) romaine lettuce leaves, apple nuggets (horse treats) And about a dozen other things.

Their favorite things are their vitamin c tablets though, I get mobbed when I take those out. It’s hard to tell whose gotten one when you have 24 noses circling you and jostling for a better position.

One trick I use is I’ll take an apple to the run and sit on a spool and start cutting bites off for me... then they get curious and I’ll cut a sliver for the reluctant one (very thin) and let them sniff it and rub on it then I’ll drop it and keep eating, if they stay around and look more curious I’ll offer another. Usually they’ll take it. Then once they figure out you’re not going to poison them ...they’ll accept most things you’re not trying to shove down their throats. Ie, selenium/Replamin or other nasty thing.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
With treats, it's mostly a matter of trying things and seeing what they'll eat. Once they get brave enough to try one thing, they're more likely to try another. Usually if I'm eating it, my goats want a bite. Fruit and veggies are more of a hit-or-miss treat though. What they consistently like are dry cereal, chips or crackers, and most of my goats have learned to love salted peanuts in the shell. In the interest of saving money, I buy my "goat treats" in the bulk cereal aisle at Walmart. I love the variety. I buy something different every time and I haven't found a dud yet.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Cheezits! Animal crackers, all kinds of fruits and veggies, tea, soda, beer, sandwiches. . . Basically, if we have it, they want it!
When my youngest little was 2 he went out the door with a handful of strawberries. He was going through the goat pen but stopped and licked each one before opening the gate! When I asked him why he explained that goats don't like spit so his strawberries were safe

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Cheezits! Animal crackers, all kinds of fruits and veggies, tea, soda, beer, sandwiches. . . Basically, if we have it, they want it!
When my youngest little was 2 he went out the door with a handful of strawberries. He was going through the goat pen but stopped and licked each one before opening the gate! When I asked him why he explained that goats don't like spit so his strawberries were safe
Smart kiddo...I love it! Too funny :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
My goats are goofy, they like, tortilla chips, fig newtons, peanuts, pretzel sticks, wheat thins, oyster crackers, Fresh apple slices, dehydrated apple slices (not freeze dried though) baby carrots, carrots circles (sliced on a mandolin) romaine lettuce leaves, apple nuggets (horse treats) And about a dozen other things.

Their favorite things are their vitamin c tablets though, I get mobbed when I take those out. It's hard to tell whose gotten one when you have 24 noses circling you and jostling for a better position.

One trick I use is I'll take an apple to the run and sit on a spool and start cutting bites off for me... then they get curious and I'll cut a sliver for the reluctant one (very thin) and let them sniff it and rub on it then I'll drop it and keep eating, if they stay around and look more curious I'll offer another. Usually they'll take it. Then once they figure out you're not going to poison them ...they'll accept most things you're not trying to shove down their throats. Ie, selenium/Replamin or other nasty thing.
Your list made me laugh! Fig newtons and chips, haha! I wonder if my goats would eat that stuff.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts