trichostrongylus & coccidiosis treatment

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by laurelsh, Sep 25, 2020.

1. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Hello Goat Friends!
    My 2 new does' fecal came back, one has heavy load of coccidia and trichostrongylus. I will use tolturazil for coccidia. Question 1: Is Safeguard the best for trichostrongylus? If so, is the dose 2x what it says on the bottle? Question 2: Should I give both medications at the same time? Or First one, wait a couple days and then the other?
    (I'm so glad I do fecals on new arrivals!)

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Safeguard isn't the best for anything.

I'd do a combo of ivermectin + safeguard. I wouldn't give it the same day as the tolt, just wait a day. Safeguard dose is 1cc per 5lbs.

laurelsh likes this.

3. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    If you think Safeguard is not the best for anything, is it worth it to go buy it for this treatment or just use Ivermectin?

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Safeguard and ivermectin combo creates a super dewormer which is more effective than either alone.

SalteyLove and laurelsh like this.
  5. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Super! I'll do it!! Thanks so much.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  6. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Someone brought to my attention that since the goats came from Virginia, they might have Barber pole worms too, which may not have been tested for in the sample I sent to UC Davis in CA, since barber pole is not prevalent here. I've emailed UC Davis to ask, but meanwhile, I wonder if you could confirm, it looks like the Safeguard/Ivomec combo would also handle any Barber pole?

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Yes.

In the future send samples to www.meadowmistlabservice.com

laurelsh likes this.
  8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    When doing a fecal they are going to county anything that shows up on the sample. What you need to find out is if it was Trichostrongyle species they couldn't determine or if they group Barber Pole together in that category.
    Here, the livestock diagnosis lab groups them together because they are basically treated the same and called HOT (Haemonchus (Barberpole), Ostertagia and Trichostrongyle), apparently there are so many various worms within the Trichostrongyle family they would have to hatch them out to get a better ID on them.

If the goats are not pregnant, you might consider Valbazen. If they have a decent worm load try dosing them 1cc per 10lbs for 3 days in a row and that may very well clean them out.
    We've really had good luck with doing that on a few random goats this year.

I'm actually getting ready to start a topic about dewormers, because I am curious everyone's thoughts - I'll be doing fecals on our pregnant does soon and want to get some ideas since Valbazen isn't safe for pregnant does and Moxidectin isn't always as effective so it seems.

9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Herbs, my friend - herbs are the only thing that can really save your butt. All chemical wormers will stop working eventually, so we should save them for when they are really needed.

10. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    What herbs would you use for a pregnant doe with coccidia 1900 eggs/g?
    My inclination is to take care of it with Albon.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  11. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Sure you could give albon.

I’d use Fir Meadow LLC’s GI Soother and DWA, first 5 days double dose 3x a day, next 5 days normal dose 2x a day.

12. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Thank you. In terms of medicine, I'd much prefer to use Baycox (Toltrazuril) as it's much easier, but I am concerned with it being off label for goats, is it truly safe for pregnancy? I have 5% Albon on hand also, but it requires 32 cc oral x 5 days.

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with the herbs, and I need to treat the goat now.

13. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    I was dealing with high, high loads of coccidia, even higher than yours. This little buckling was seriously symptomatic. I will look for the thread I had posted with a summary of fecal numbers and what I had used to mitigate his symptoms and reduce these crazy high coccidia numbers. I was consistent about checking fecals and found that Land of Havilah Parasite Formula, combined with the GI Tract herbs, significantly reduced his coccidia numbers. I was really amazed how well his body responded to it. I was a little messy in how much of these herbs I administered. Meaning, he didn't receive exactly 1 tsp of herbs three times a day. I gave him more than that for at least three days and then did it once a day, and then returned to three times a day the following week. I don't remember off hand all the details, they are written in my book, but he essentially was receiving daily herbs some days more than others for a while. He now is doing great. Here's the link with details...
    https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/essential-oils-and-herbal-balls-seem-to-be-working.216459/

laurelsh likes this.
  14. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    If you connect to the link, you'll read that I also used essential oils. I used clove, but I have read that you are not to use clove on pregnant does. Just an fyi...

laurelsh likes this.