tricks for bottle feeding.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by billmac, Apr 20, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    3 new nubian kids, a few days old. 2 are taking the bottle pretty well but 1 is fighting it the whole way and not getting much. Any tips / tricks to make this easier? We're using a conical clear nipple on a coke bottle we got from Tractor Supply. We're feeding them pasteurized goat milk.

Thanks

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    try a differnt nipple. I like human baby bottles and nipples - put a bigger X in the tip for milk flow.

Also you can try putting karo syrup on the nipple (some say this works, I haven't had success).

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree....try a couple different nipples to see which one he'll take....regular baby bottle as well as a pritchard teat....h needs to eat more to thrive, so hopefully that simple act will help you and him.

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Just a few things off the top of my head:

* make sure you arent feeding him too often - leave him to get a bit hungry between feeds

* play around with the temp of the milk - the theory is blood temperature but a LOT of mine like it hotter than that, a few have liked it cooler.

* play around with different teats

* make sure he doesnt have to work too hard to suck the milk out - a teat that drips whenyou turn the bottle over is messy, but good for kidlets like this. You can also squeeze the bottle to shoot more milk into his mouth. He might start to swallow it, which is a step on the way to actually suckling

* sometimes kids will nuzzle on you looking for a teat - a favourite spot seems to be around the face and under the chin. Encourage it and nuzzle him back, and hold the teat up near your face (or wherever he is nuzzling) and try and slip it in his mouth, continue nuzzling the whole time. This is awkward but it does work.

* tickle his bottom while he drinks - mum does this naturally to stimulate them - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. You can just use your hands or a warm wet washcloth.

* cover his head and eyes while he drinks so that it is dark. Kids instinctively move towards dark and warm when they are born - its how they find the udder and teats, so try and simulate that for him.

If all else fails, tube feed him. He needs some nutrition now and that will tie him over under he figures what the bottle is. Dont separate him from the other two - it will do wonders having him watch the other two come and get their food.

Good luck!

5. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin

6. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    One of our quads did this too. We finally bought a regular Gerber baby bottle and nipple and she liked it and started to eat. We had to hold her real close to us and up near our face. We also had to cup her chin with our hand while holding the bottle. I guess she liked feeling supported and cuddled. Another thing that worked really well ( and I'm sure would be hilarious if anyone ever saw us) was making sucking noises as we gave her the bottle. That got her to eat really well and after about 2 days we didn't have to do it anymore but it really did work. As long as we made sucking noises she would suck on the bottle. :ROFL:

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Oh shush you! :ROFL:

8. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    We always have to pry her mouth open, but once in, she does ok for about an ounce or two. Then she's just not interested. We're going to try some new nipples today. She likes nibbling on the walls of the barn however.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how often are you feeding the kid? is it full when done with the couple ounces? what breed?

10. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    It's a nubian doeling. We're feeding them 4x a day. She's about 9 lbs. We'd like to get at least 10 oz in her but she's getting about 6 oz at most per feeding.

11. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    The vet said not to tube feed her unless she was getting weak.

12. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    One of my newest little babies did this to me too. I was feeding them 4 times a day and dropped it to 3 times a day so that he would get hungrier between feedings and it worked well. If he's getting 6 oz 4 times a day then that isn't bad. He might not be as big of an eater as the others. I have a set of week old twins and one will eat 9 ounces max per feeding and he's full but the other would eat as much as you'd give him. Once you get him going his appetite will perk right up and he'll start to eat more.

13. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    When we had bottle babies, ours only liked the pritchard nipples on pop bottles.