Tricks of the Trade

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, Oct 18, 2007.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  2. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Well, one thing that is VERY helpful for us is we have catch pens that surround the shelters in each of our pastures. I feed the goats in the catch pens and then when I need to catch them I just call them up for feeding and shut the gate... BOOM instantly caught :D

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A milking stand....it is absolutely great that my hubby built me one made for mini's!! The slider stanchion is great for keeping a wiggly goat still while I vaccinate and trim feet...works on Hank too! Though because Binky and Chief are hornless I need to have him build me a box for them to stand on to keep their heads in the stanchion!!

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    One of those headlamp things like miners use for if the power goes out. They are cheap, around $10 buy two in case you lose one!!

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I have one of those cheeeeeeep horse hoof picks- the ones with the pick on one side and the brush on the other. It is great to have the brush to clean the dirt from the hoof becore clipping- save dulling the clippers and allows me to see better. I imagine any brush will do but the pick is cheap and handy.

6. RadioFlyer

RadioFlyer New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Ohio
    Keeping water clean

I have a small, fine, plastic strainer (from the dollar store) to keep water troughs cleaned of debris or insects between weekly scrubbings. Or you can use a large aquarium net from a pet store.

In winter before we got heated buckets, I would break up the ice and use a cat little scoop to scoop out broken ice. I dearly love my heated buckets!!

7. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    For frozen water I use an old hammer to break the ice, using the claw end to shove it out then dump hot water in.

8. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Here is a neat site I found: http://members.tripod.com/%7EAlchemyAcres/archive.htm I was reading a post on here that mentioned lung worms, so I googled it and came across this site and just wanted to share it. It is a list of monthly tips from 97 to 04 about all sorts of mostly goat stuff, some funny, some marketing and raising.

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If you wear gloves when you trim hooves, wrap masking tape around the places on your hands where the gloves rub the most. This will stop blisters from forming. Really works esp if you have a lot of goats to trim.

10. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    Along with my heated water buckets, I put the bucket in a tire and pack hay or straw around the bucket to keep it from freezing in really really cold weather; I live in Northern Mn, so even with the heated buckets, my goatie buckets freeze slightly...ACV also helps keep the water from freezing as much...

I use hay bags (not the net kind) to keep my goat's hay off the ground...I put them up a little higher than chest level so they can't get their legs caught in the nose hole (they are horse hay bags). It keeps their hay clean, and off the ground...which my goaties appreciate! AND I appreciate that they can't step on it and stick their noses up at it in discust and not eat it!!

11. ozarksvalley

ozarksvalley New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Missouri
    The bales of bermuda we used to buy had wire instead of twine holding them together. I rolled up and saved the wire on many a thing. Handy! Just make sure if you're using it on something the goats can reach, to turn in the ends or do something so that the goats cannot scratch or cut themselves on it.

12. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    For Mystic's Mom...those heated water buckets, what kind and where did you purchase. Those would be so nice!

13. jazlyn

jazlyn New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Mississippi
    Here's a good tip, A miniature horse hoof trimmer is great for trimming bucks' and large does hooves, along with the regular goat trimmer. :horse:

14. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
  15. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    By far the best hoof trimmer ever (for mini-goats) is "Shear Magic" hoof trimmers from Jeffer's Supply. We did use it on my cousin's boers but did not care for it too much (not big enough), it does work great for the mini's though!

We use the recipe from Fiasco Farms "Goat Baby Wipes" to wipe down udders before and after milking, cleaning baby goats off, and other stuff - works great and cheap, cheap to make!!

16. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Hi- A great tip that I have had success with is using the "Goatlix" round pans for feed and water pans-Put them in a 17 inch old tire and never worry about chasing them down again!!!

17. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I have a couple of cattle panels that I keep clips on- I can clip the panels to the fence for putting hay in corners or cutting a pen in two. When the panels are not needed, I keep them clipped to the fence somewhere so they are handy in a pinch.

18. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I finally figured out that the best time to do any mucking with a wheelbarrow in the pen is when Ive brought fresh hay in. They are too busy eating to help!!
    To eliminate some mobbing at grain time, I throw in feed pans and put tote with feed on fence.
    Then grab feed containers to dump in pans on the run.

19. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Nancy d- yes, picking poops with one goat tipping over the wheel barrow while another come and stands on the dust pan while the third chews on the broom bristles.
    I do something similar as long as it is not raining- I clip feed buckets onto the pasture fence- they all run out there to get the food and I shut the gate to the pen behind them so I can clean it. Then reverse the process with putting hay in the containers inside the pen and opening the gate for them to rush in the other way-lol
    Always in a hurry to be the first goat to the food.

20. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Good idea on the fresh hay!! I have tried everything to keep our goats from attacking me when I feed- the only thing is- they keep hay and just want the feed. I try to throw a scoop or so over the fence to get them back-They are too smart for that- you open the gate- a few run out (the bottle babies)-the other ones knock you down and trip you,(the friendly grown 200 lb does) knock the bucket out of your hand, jump on you-then the best part is getting that bucket back-you can't get their head out of it. There is no telling how many bruises I get on my sides during the week :hair: