The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had to deal with bloat before in my life, and I'm having issues.

I have a bottle buck with bloat and possibly constipation....
He is 2 weeks old.
I have drenched him twice with baking soda, and with oil. This was over 4 hours ago, I massaged and rubbed his sides for about an hour, nothing.
He acted like he was in pain when I was rubbing the right side every now and then, and also ever now and then he acted like he was going to puke when I was rubbing. His sides are not tight, but they are airy.

I have not seen him poop yet since I noticed his sides were puffy and he had not been fed for several hours, he pee's and thats about it. He is a bit shakey too. He did not take a bottle tonight.

But I've done the baking soda, tried oil, tried massages, what else is there? His sides have not gone down, or gotten any bigger....
As far as things go this is the first time I've been at a loss for treatments,

Now as far as the constipation goes, I don't know if he really is....

·
I'm watching you
22,567 Posts
I would give Banamine for pain and to relax muscles, Vitamin B complex for shock, C&D anti-toxin for bacteria build up.

Enema never hurts anything. Oil, warm water, and butter...3 ccs at a time

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh get a temp, make sure he isn't sub temp.
Crap, I thought I would be asked about a temp, I have no idea what it is, my thermometer is broken, it got stepped on by my buffalo of a horse. It's on the list, but I havent gotten to it yet...

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much B complex does that come out to for him? He's about 13#, 2 weeks old, he's pretty tiny because he was a quad. The bottle I have says 1cc per 100# in cattle, and 1 cc per 25# in goats and sheep.... So would that be 1/2 a cc? Kind iffy on that since its such a huge difference between cattle on goats...

·
I'm watching you
22,567 Posts
Doesn't matter it can't be overdosed. Excess is peed out. You can do a full cc without hurt.

·
2,203 Posts
Is his belly sloshy? Legs weak? Standing or just lying there? Smell his breath as well please. Grunting? Sporadic breaths?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, good to know, I knew it doesnt stay in the fat, but I don't like chancing things

Just went out to check on him,

His body is warm, and his mouth is warm. Feels like the same temp as the rest.

And I think, fingers crossed:pray: that is sides have gone down a bit...

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is his belly sloshy? Legs weak? Standing or just lying there? Smell his breath as well please. Grunting? Sporadic breaths?
Looks like his sides went down a bit, but no it wasn't sloshy at all. But when you poked his sides, they felt airy.
Legs are not weak, both laying down and standing up. Was grunting when I was rubbing his belly, but no grunting when I stopped. Normal breathing. Breath smells like baby goat breath.

I didn't feel his sides when I went out I just reached through the fence and felt the inside of his mouth, but his sides look a bit smaller.

·
I'm watching you
22,567 Posts
Hoping it will all be good. I'll be here for a couple more hours.
Not sloshy is a good sign and the fact that he's still standing. One of the gals on here prescribes putting him over your shoulder like burping a baby and rubbing and working the stomach until they poop. Hopefully the Banimine will relax him enough to start things going.

·
Registered
471 Posts
We had this happen to one of our little girls this year...it was first because of formula, we switched her over to milk and she was fine for about a week and then repeatedly bloated. I figured it was because the milk was too rich...when we diluted it by half with water she was absolutely fine, but any more than that and she would bloat exactly the way you described. We lost her sister to it, and nearly lost her...it was so scary. We gave baking soda every 30 minutes and did rubbing, making her walk, and then letting her rest in bouts, and if after thirty minutes she hadn't burped, we gave therabloat, 1cc in 4cc water. We stayed up 3 nights fighting it with her...she would seem like she was getting better for a few hours, and then bloat again...it was so scary..and for weeks after occasionally she would bloat but not as badly...sorry for the book, I just wanted you to know that you aren't alone. :hug:

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It just really caught me off guard, this is my first bloat ever in over the 20 years I've had goats.

Well this morning his side are down and he is pooping and peeing. He is stretching a lot, and bleating. He still is up and walking around but he lays down a lot. He is not being obnoxious for the bottle or attention like his brothers and sisters.
I'm about to go and feed him right now... hopefully he takes the bottle.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If it was from the rich milk, I wouldn't give him his bottle. I would hold feed for 12-24 hours and see how he is then...I think it's from rich milk. Probiotics and CD antitoxin will also help him a lot, along with baking soda in the bottle. His symptoms were exactly to a T what my girls were.

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
I would do an enema if youhave not seen him poop....oil and water water with a syringe..gentle push the plunger..go 5-6 cc at a time..message him tummy ..I do this overmy tub ( bleach is cheap) I sit themon my lap with their bum facing the tub..if nothing comes out the first time do it once more..keep messaging..it can take time if hes real plugged up..30-40 minuted even an hour..once you see a good amount of poop givehima rest...the remaining oil will help him cleanout on his own..if not repeat in a few hours

ok: saw th up date...Are you giving him C D ANtitoxin every 6 hours? how much did her poop for you??

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I only had enough CD&T anti toxin to give him one round, I'm out of it right now, and the next order won't be here till Thursday... but at 10am he pee'd an pooped, it was a normal amount. The urine was clear, and the poop was pellets,normal. I have probios somewhere in the cabinet, I'll look for them. I gave him a b complex shot when I tubed him.
I have not been keeping an eye on him since 11am, I'm watching my niece today, she's only 7 months old so she's first priority.

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
if he is pooping well then that is a good sign..he may have had too much a good thing and is trying to right himself..I would hold off on milk today and give electrolytes and the probios..let his tummy rest..Bet the oil you gave him oral helped get things moving...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts