The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie to Goat Spot as well as posting to forums not to mention goats. I purchased a 4 year old nanny and kid and they were not well taken care of. The nanny's front hooves have grown out, folded over upon them-self and the hooves slant outwards. They are causing her discomfort so I would like to help her as quick as possible.
Question: What is the best method to not only trim but to reshape the hooves? Should I use a dremel tool to grind them down? This has been successful with my problem cows and horses in the past. I have read multiple articles on trimming but I just do not want to screw up and cause her more pain.
Oh yea she also arrived with pink eye so am treating it with LA 200 and Vertericyn Pink Eye Spray. Any suggestions on Pinkeye remedy? Just to note, she does have not only the red eye but the haze over it. She is segregated from the rest of my animals so as not to spread the pinkeye as well as to make it easier to work on her hooves.
This poor girl appears to have had it rough. It is a shame to see animals neglected like this.
Thanks in advance for the assistance.

·
2,203 Posts
Use nippers, shear scissors, hoof clippers, something that will fit in your hand. Have a rasp as well. Take a bucket of warm soapy water out with you, and a scrub brush. Clean hooves best you can, use a hoof pick if need be. Once moistened it's easier to trim too. Take off the overlay on the walls initially to expose the real hoof underneath. Follow the growth rings as you would cattle. Take small nips, don't be over aggressive right away. Give those tendons and bones a break and go slow. One session a week will help get you going. Trim her on a flat surface, and place the foot down once in a while to check proper foot angle. After you clear out the overlay, follow the rings and take some toe, and little heel off as well. Check angle. Make sure to trim dewclaws. You can go down to seeing light pink, but I wouldn't go this far right away. Just correct her posture, and call it good this time.

Goats are so much easier than cattle. Lol

1 - 2 of 2 Posts