Votes: 2 25.0%
  • every 6 weeks

Votes: 1 12.5%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we do obviously trim our goats feet!! I was wondering how often should I trim my goats feet?? I will make a POLL so that way I can mark my calendar on when to trim them!!!

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
So we do obviously trim our goats feet!! I was wondering how often should I trim my goats feet?? I will make a POLL so that way I can mark my calendar on when to trim them!!!
You really just need watch them and when they need a trim. Different goats need them done in different time frames. When you look at their eyelids every week for famacha look at hooves. That is how i do it anyway. I have a few that need it monthly pretty much and others that need it every three months or longer. No two are alike.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You really just need watch them and when they need a trim. Different goats need them done in different time frames. When you look at their eyelids every week for famacha look at hooves. That is how i do it anyway. I have a few that need it monthly pretty much and others that need it every three months or longer. No two are alike.
One quick question what is famacha? Since I am still kind of a newbie!!!

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
One quick question what is famacha? Since I am still kind of a newbie!!!
Search here for famacha or Google famacha in goats. It is looking at their bottom eyelids for color. It is a tool that lets you know how anemic they are from being wormy. You should check it weekly. And also have fecals done when their score is low so you know what worms they have and what wormer to use on them.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
Depends on the goat for the hooves. And if they have stuff to file their hooves down as well. I responded to the poll with my personal timing but you will have to use your own judgement -- usually a scheduled date is not as good as just looking at them and seeing when they need to be trimmed.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Every goat and every situation is so very different. Make a log and write down when you do each goats feet and make a little note on if they probably should have been done earlier or not.
Most of my goats I can get away with once a year trimming, usually right after they kid because it’s winter and they are fat and Pego and not jumping around like they normally do. The ground is hard the rest of the year, I make them travel for food and hooves is also something I cull over.
Now I do have 2 that are more on the pet side and if I waited that long with them they would have skis as feet. I have to really keep up on those two. It’s just them. Even though they do the same as the other goats, fed the same, they are just have terrible feet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts