Trimming for Hire

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by GoatGirlMO, Jan 10, 2011.

1. GoatGirlMO

GoatGirlMO New Member

Aug 13, 2010
    In the past, I have trimmed hooves in other people's herds. This was actually quite a lucrative business for a high school girl, and I think I'd like to give it a go again, except now I have some concerns.... maybe you all can help me?

Before, I was trimming anywhere from 15-60 animals at a time. I just bought a new pair of trimmers for each job. Recently, however, I've had people contact me with just a few goats-- 3 or 4. Clearly I will have to figure out someway to sanitize my trimmers OR convince the people to purchase their own. In my herd, I have bleach spray that I use between goats, but I don't know if this is sufficient to use between herds?

I also clip animals for show for the 4-H kids around. Obviously I don't charge the 4-Hers, but I have also had people approach me about body or dairy clipping their does. I love clipping so this appeals to me, but I don't know what to charge. My clippers are like my children, so I am concerned about their wellbeing...lol. It costs me $7 to have the blades sharpened on the clippers and $42 for a new set altogether.

What would you pay to have someone clip your animals? Trim their hooves? Interested in all opinions, even if you would never hire it out. What would your concerns be?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I do LOTS of hooves, i use bleach to sanitize between.
    I charge $5 for does and wethers, $9 for bucks sept-feb, and $7 march-august

3. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I agree with the bleach as an excellent sanitizer

4. GoatGirlMO

GoatGirlMO New Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Thanks! Glad to know the bleach will work across herds... That puts my mind at ease.

What are your thoughts on a flat rate for the first few animals, then charging per additional animal? Or having a gas fee in addition to the cost per animal? Before when I was doing large herds, the gas hardly ever mattered (so many animals added up to $$$ quickly, and my car was very, very gas efficient AND gas was cheaper...). But with doing small herds... I was thinking $25 for up to five goats, then $4 or $5 per additional goat... $8 for bucks.

But if someone only had 3 goats, is $25 too steep? On the other hand, they could just do it themselves...lol.

5. GoatGirlMO

GoatGirlMO New Member

Aug 13, 2010
    And I wanted to say that I do understand that prices will vary by location... just wanted to get an idea.

Thanks again!!!

6. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I charge 10.00 per goat, I live about an hour from anything, so I also charge for gas. I need it to be worth my time, so even if it is close I will charge a fee to come, and for the hooves.
    I take a spray bottle of 50% peroxide and 50% water mixture, we use the same stuff in the clinic I worked at. It can dry out stainless steel, so oiling clippers may be needed.
    I still buy new clippers often, normally just go to the feed store and get a pair of rose pruning shears for $8.
    You probably already do this, but taking a spare pair of boots, l=clean is best, so to not pick up stray germs to take to the next job!!
    I hate clipping, so I am no help there!! Sorry!!