The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am trimming my goats hooves and I would like you guys to tell me exactly how to do them. I got this little doe and her feet where awful really long and a messed up I trimmed them and they look wonderful now. I know how to trim goats hooves but can you guys just tell me any tips that

I may need to know. And maybe you can post pictures of goats feet before and after trimming thanks!!:)

·
Super Moderator
14,767 Posts
The only tip I have is using a hand grinder......omg!!! I have had mine for almost 2 months and I'm in love. It makes the hoof so flat and no crap can get stuck any where. I'm slowly getting them all to where their hoof should be.....but I also think I'm hoof trimmer stupid lol.....I could never get them just right with the trimmers.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Well, I personally use the sheep hoof clippers to rough out the job, around the horny rim, then tidy up and trim the sole to shape with a knife (I use an equine hoof knife).

I don't actually wind up with the tidiest job, being unable, either due to poor technique or simply not strong enough in the hands to take decent flat slices off with the knife (I get little bitses) but as long as the main structure of the hoof is balanced, flat and correct, any little inconsistencies in the sole just wear off within a day or two on our (rocky) paddocks.

Hand grinder sounds good Jessica! Unfortunately don't have the (power) facilities to do that here. I was wanting a surform as I hear they're quite good for taking off the sole flat, but they're pretty hard to find.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use the regular pair if clippers, but then I use the electric hoof knife, the yellow sanding attachment to even everything out, works great:)
Janeen128, we're actually going to start selling a disc specifically for goats very soon. It's similar to the yellow attachment but flatter and with less grit on the sides (so it's easier to trim in between the toes). You can check it out at www.ElectricHoofKnife.com. We're also selling a new and updated grinder which you may be interested in. The whole set (with the new grinder, two discs, a carrying case, and safety glasses) is $254.95.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.