Trimming goats horns?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by jaytori220, Jun 13, 2009.

1. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    I have 5 goats. 3 have horns. 1 goat came to me with her horns smooth and rounded at the tip. She must have had them trimmed down. My other 2 wethers also had horns when I got them. They are super pointy and hurt. Yesterday one threw his head back at another goat horned me in the shin and it HURT. I dont feel safe banding them and I would rather keep them horned since I would hate to put them through the pain. If I trim the tips of my wethers how much is safe to do at a time? What is the best to tip them with? Then I can round it off with a dremol or something similar.

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Some folks use horse nippers to take the very tips off. I dont see why a dremmel wouldnt work but Ive never messed with horns. Someone will come along & give you better direction.
    ps take that sharpening stone away from them hehehe.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A member here as well as a good friend of mine uses a dremmel on her does horns, she started them at a young age though...you may need to secure their heads in a stanchion first but the dremmel will work nicely to take those points away......do it just like you would overgrown hooves, a little at a time and every few days til they are where you want them.