Trimming udders when it's cold

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by comingsummers, Feb 1, 2011.

1. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    I have a doe that is currently in milk and was bred in early December with no heats since. I plan to continue to milk her until March and then dry her off for those last couple of months of her pregnancy. I have been milking her since June when I bought her and I hadn't ever shaved her, but now with her heavy winter coat I have had a ton of hair falling into the milk :shocked: . I strain as I milk, so it's not a big problem, but it kind of bugs me. I also have really wanted to get some nice pictures of her udder to put on my website and I definitely can't do it with her this hairy. My concern is that has been, and will continue to be pretty cold for the next several months. Most nights are in the 20's but tomorrow night is supposed to be -10 :GAAH: and temperatures like that aren't super rare. Would her udder be OK if I trimmed it? I wouldn't take it down to the skin, probably no shorter than a 1/2 inch. I don't want to hurt her, but I want pictures of her udder so that people can see it before they reserve kids. Not to mention the hair in the milk. What do you all think?

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I know what you mean, I have does kidding in a couple weeks, I thought it would be warming up. I hope it is. It is going to be colder here tomorrow night than it has been since I got here in 1972. (-6?) I think I'm not shaving them, unless it gets a lot warmer.

But I have no experience, someone else probably has a much better bit of advice. I want to hear it too.

Jan

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I do close trims on my does before they kid and a maintenance trim a weeks later, not to the skin but close enough to see the shape, etc.
    It's regularly in the teens and singles here at night from mid January to end of February and my does have been fine with a trim.
    They have a nice dry bed and are inside during the cold...they can go out if they want but are smart and stay in.