trio

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by countryboy, Dec 14, 2008.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Here is the pictures of my three goats. Spot, Dot, and Max in that order. Tell me what ya'll think. Be truthful and honest, I know that there not all that.

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Spot & Dot have nice level toplines on them. Spot has some nice booty which is not real pronounced in most Boer crosses!
    You asked for honesty...the buck's back is too dippy. You dont want that in your herd.

3. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Thank you, please tell more!

4. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    He doesnt look real deep & wide....this is hard, Come on Boer folks help him out here!
    Mostly what I would want to know is what your plans are. If you just want meat on the table he will do the job.
    But if you want to improve thats another story.

Now if you got all three from the sale barn, the seller did not want to breed any of them because of Dot's possible fish teat on that one side and the other does split/fish teats.
    If you can, check out Max's set up. Does he have split/fish teats?

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Here's my honest opinion.

Spot is a really nice stout doe, lovely bone and muscling, good head for a % doe, adequate structural soundness, I like her and you have a very good start in her.

To evaluate Dot properly, I need to see a better photo, in this photo she appears finer boned and not as muscled as Spot. A better photo would allow me to specify weaknesses and strengths.

This is not a great picture of Max either, and I would like a better photo before commenting. I dont think this is an adequate picture to assess his topline, I also know from experience that what appears to be a sway back can be simply due to lots of buck hair on the neck and hips. From this photo he doesnt appear to be very heavily muscled or boned.

What are your plans? Do you just want pets with a bit of meat production for your own freezer? Are you wanting to produce meat to sell? Produce breeding stock to sell? Knowing this will help me comment some more.

6. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    The two doelings come from the sale. The buck comes from the paper. I went to the sale barn and just came home with the two girls. So I had to get a boy. Now that I have them I am learning what is good and bad. Yes the buck has the same set up as the girls. I have these as a learning project. WE[ my two year old baby girl, my wife, and myself] will keep Spot. Not because of comments, but because she is part of us. The reason for them[future] is babies, food, maybe milk. More than likely, I will breed them. Learn the heat cycles, and what there likes are and dislikes. I never had goats before, but think I need more of mini milkers and Spot for size[pet].Thanks for the comments and please tell me more.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your does may be to young.... to breed ....they look really young...with their horn size if I am seeing it right from the pictures......we don't breed ...our does ...until at least 1 year of age....and over....do you know how to tell their ages by looking at their teeth? and how much do you think they weigh?

8. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Keren brought up a good point about the hair..Keren I didnt know that! Thank you!

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    nancy, I have a buck who looks awful awful awful on first view, you would send him to freezer camp immediately for his swayed back. Give me a hour with the clippers and he will win a ribbon at the show, he just has heaps of hair on his neck and over his hips, which he constantly keeps sticking up :)

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I think those does are just as sweet looking as ever. Do you have any idea how old they are?

I agree with that buck. It could be just that way he is standing. Plus it is really hard to tell without feeling him. What breed is he?