The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

My Nubian mix doe recently had triplet kids (12th Nov). She has an enormous udder and I had to work hard the first night to get them to drink successfully.

A few days on and they are all doing amazing, finding the teats on their own and going really well. I am having to milk out mama on one side every day, if not twice a day as they are favouring one side. Besides milking her out, is there anything I can do to help encourage them to drink from both teats?
If I'm milking her out and I place them on the "bad" teat, they will happily drink there. But they won't seek it on their own, and if I haven't relieved it for her she will kick them away from that side too.

Poor mama is prone to mastitis so I want to do everything I can to ensure she doesn't get it this time around. These are our first kids so not sure if there's anything I can do to help them start to feed from that side.

Any help would be appreciated!

This is a photo of her udder before I milked her out this morning!
125355855_772665383591755_1892960190043588336_n.jpg

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
They may be ignoring that right side because it is so engorged and low hanging, so you keeping it milked out will help make it easier for them to latch on. Plus, as they get older and drink more, she is going to need that milk supply from the other side to keep them fed. 3 kids vying for that one teat will lead to kids not getting enough to eat. Hopefully, as they get older and need more milk, they will start going there on their own. Until then, keep milking her and putting the kids on that side.

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
The teat end looks small enough they might be able to latch on. Not sure but it appears to be in the picture.

Pick one kid, open the kids mouth and squirt some milk in the mouth, release and tickle tailhead, repeat until kid latches on.
Go out every two hours or so or whenever you see the kid on the wrong side, put that same kid on the big side.
Eventually that kid will know to go to that side.

Of course milk he out some first to help, so she isn’t sore and it may shrink the teat down a bit more as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I have been milking her out and then placing them on that side and as long as I've milked her a bit and I'm still there, they will feed from it if I place them on. Still no luck having them take it on their own - I think because the other side is so drained now, they can access that teat from either direction whereas the enlarged one they have to be behind her to be able to get it. Fingers crossed they start soon, poor mama looks so uncomfortable!

·
Registered
505 Posts
That does look uncomfortable. Poor girl. I know these are her first kids with you, so not saying you had anything to do with it, but I can’t help wondering what happened with her previous owner(s) to cause her to get like that. Or perhaps it’s a genetic thing? But goodness, that one side is just so huge and stretched!

Best of luck training the babies to use both teats. That will make things much easier for you in the future for sure!

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
I hope the triplets are getting the hang of it quick! I agree, if they use it after you've milked it out, then they will likely use it more and more as they get older.

I would strongly consider eliminating these udder genetics from your future breeding plans and making sure those triplets won't be used as breeding stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts