Trixie

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by EstellaMA, Mar 6, 2011.

1. EstellaMA

EstellaMA New Member

Trixie is a first freshener Oberhasli. I finally got a rear end shot of her where you can see her udder, so decided to start her waiting thread. She's a year old and the way she's carrying makes her look so thin. It makes me want to give her more food, but I don't want super big babies. I also am impatiently waiting for her to shed out her winter scruffiness. No clue on due date, the day I saw Nemo trying to jump on her would put her at day 134 today. I don't think that's anywhere near right:)

Attached Files:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I see an udder forming there..... I'd say 1 to 1 1/2 months to go...from when her udder development started... :wink: :thumb:

3. EstellaMA

EstellaMA New Member

That's what I was thinking after looking at the other waiting threads on here. Her teats got more noticable about a month ago, but udder just started being more noticable along with more teat developement this week. Today she had legs poking up above her rumen and down in front of her udder at the same time. Quite the change in feel from Caviar where I'm lucky if I feel a flutter when trying to feel babies because her belly is so tight.

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If she started udder development a week ago....count on her delivery around 1 month to 1 1/2 months from then.... that is the closet guesstimate... I can give... :wink:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she looks liek she is is 3-4 months along.

As to her diet I would be feeding her grain especially right now when the kids are developing the most. YOu can cut back a little bit right before she kids.

Does she have loose minerals available?

6. EstellaMA

EstellaMA New Member

Yeah, she gets her grain and loose minerals and is eating a ton of timothy hay. Between her and Caviar the past couple of months they upped the hay consumption quite a bit. They also like to steal rabbit food out of their feeders, though Trixie isn't too into it, she joins in at time.

7. EstellaMA

EstellaMA New Member

Trixie had a single buckling about 2 hours ago. No problems with delivery, in fact he was just about on the ground when I went out. Just had to help clean goop and make sure he nursed. Trixie had to be convinced about the idea of him nursing, but she caught on quick.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    A big congrats.... :thumb: :hi5:

9. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Awesome! I have heard people say that if you feed too much grain you'll have huge kids....but I've also heard that is a myth, and that the female's body generally decides what size the fetus will be though the sire can supposedly influence the size a little (and definitely influences growth and final size outside the uterus.) I always feed my girls grain through the entire pregnancy, upping from a little bit to a bit more by the third month, and slowly increasing the amount through the last two months, making sure not to give too much and make them all fat and out of shape.