The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 year old Boer doe. I noticed her the last couple of days not being her normal, bossy self. She's the herd queen, but is not acting like it. She has been lying down, off by herself, but not acting like she's uncomfortable or in pain. When the herd moves she will go with them, but then lie down again.

She's willing to eat, but food dribbles out of her mouth, even apple slices, which she loves. Her sides are completely normal, no signs of bloat. Poops are normal. Her temp is 101.8, eyelids nice and pink. No coughing, sneezing, or runny nose. Lungs are clear.

Feeling along her jaw there is no sign of any swelling or lumps. No retained cud.

Her feet are in good shape, and there is no sign of leg pain or injury that would keep her from walking.

The only other thing I noticed is that she will on occasion stand with her feet up on a log, and just stand there. The only other time I've seen her do this is when she's pregnant, which she is currently not.

Any idea what I'm dealing with? Frankly, she's acting like she's pouting. LOL

I'm thinking this might be a tooth issue, given that's the only thing I CAN'T see at the moment. Everything else is normal, and having dealt with abscesses, bloat, coccidiosis, etc, I would think I'd recognize those.

Thanks!
Carrie

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
she may have a sticker lodge in there...this can not only make it painful to eat but cause the food to dribble out...You need to get a good look...you will need a helper, a flashlight and something to place between her teeth so she does not bite down on you, those teeth are razor sharp!...ALso keep an eye on that temp...its on the lower end of normal....you don't want to see it dip sub

listen for rumen noises, gas and burps....

·
14,456 Posts
Welcome to TGS!
You are going to have to try to get a good look inside her mouth. Get a wide stick, pvc pipe or extra large syringe sleeve. Put sideways in mouth & use a strong flashlight to see if you can see anything.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
I agree, but re-check that rectal temperature and make sure the rumen is working. drooling can also be the first sign of Polio/Listeriosis but we would expect that to have progressed further faster.

I would also give a large dose of B-complex injected subq right away no matter what the issue turns out to be. This is always a good start with an "off" goat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE:

The temp continued normal, and I treated her with B-Complex, Probios, and electrolytes (she developed minor diarrhea). I got a good look at her back teeth as well. FREAKY things!!! (Obviously I'd never seen those before...like horror-movie-alien teeth!) I didn't see anything amiss, and looked carefully at all sides as best I could. She was very cooperative, which helped.

I never was able to figure out what the problem is/was, but she's eating well now. Still a little thin for my liking, and not fully back to her cranky old self, but she eats voraciously and is commanding Her spot at Her feeder back, so it looks like she's on the mend.

Thanks all!!
Carrie

·
Registered
6 Posts
She was recently dewormed, so I know that's not the problem. The day after she started on the hay again she stopped scouring. My best guess is that it was the fact that she was drinking a lot to fill her belly, while not eating much hay.

As of now, she's filled out again, bossy like before! I didn't see anything in her teeth, but I really suspect there must have been something. A piece of BOSS shell? A stick or something in the hay? Who knows. It's fine now, though, and she's back to normal.

Thanks, all!!!
Carrie
Central IL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.