Trouble Swallowing in Newborn Kid . . . maybe??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kornhypknotic, Jun 9, 2009.

1. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Howdy all. One of my does kidded beautiful twin bucklings last night and the kids looked great! :boy: :boy: I put them right on their mom and they both nursed fantastically! :cool: Today I noticed one lying down just a tiny bit more than the other and I tried to put him on his mom again to make sure that he's nursing . . . he refused to even take her teat in his mouth. His brother nurses like a champ still, though. :scratch:

I brought this other one inside and tried to give him a bottle full of his mom's warm colostrum. When I filled his mouth with it and tried to coax him to swallow (holding him still, stroking his throat, etc.) he would always choke and begin coughing, once he did it rather violently. I only felt him swallow twice in 30 minutes of trying to get him to take the bottle. :GAAH: After he choked badly the one time I decided not to give him the bottle for a while . . . didn't want to make him drink if he could only get it down the wrong pipe. :scratch:

He's still less than 24 hours old and he's a big guy, appears to be healthy, and is not really looking any skinnier than his younger brother. There were no complications in delivery, although mom looked like there was quite a bit more bleeding and discomfort than the other deliveries I've seen this year. She's looking great today, not anemic at all, and producing a ton of colostrum. The only thing is that she has a pendulous udder and her teats are rather large and close to the ground . . . this does not seem to be a problem for his brother though. Even when I put his mom's teat in his mouth and squeeze some milk into his mouth he still does not take it. :hair:

I'm wondering if I should be worried about the little guy. I know he had colostrum off his mom last night as soon as he could walk . . . but I haven't seen him nurse since then. Are there any types of disorders that could be causing his trouble swallow (other than Floppy Kid, because this guy is a healthy-looking kid . . . apart from me not witnessing him nursing). Would it be ok to wait until tomorrow morning before trying him on the bottle again? I just don't want to chance making him aspirate and get pneumonia if I don't have to. Could he be nursing and I'm just not seeing it? :shrug:

Thanks so much! :grouphug:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would weigh him. THen I woudl put him back with mom. Weigh him again in the morning - if he is loosing weight them I would say he needs the bottle otherwise he probably is nursing when you dont see him.

Some goats will absolutely refuse that bottle especialy after nursing off mom.

3. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    BRILLIANT!!!! :leap:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ditto........ what Stacey said..... :thumbup: :wink:

check his flank/tummy area... and feel... if he is full or the flank/tummy area is loose and he has nothing it it... :wink:

5. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    I did that . . . it felt a little bit sloshy :shrug: . . . but I wasn't sure if that was milk or intestines or just tummy juices. :scratch:

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Check the other kids belly his sibling... the one that is nursing well and compare them.....you will be able to feel... the difference... if the kid in question has nothing in there.... :hug:
    You can pick them up... and feel there bellies ....... that is another way to tell ........ :wink:

7. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Well . . . he didn't gain weight . . . and he didn't lose weight either :scratch:

I did see him at least try to nurse this morning . . . I'm not sure if he got anything out though. His tummy feels exactly the same as his brothers. So I guess he's ok?. :thumbup:

I was thinking about it last night and maaaybe it's the heat? It's about 95 degrees F out here and I'm wondering if it's so hot that they're not eating like they should? :shrug:

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    holding a steady weight is a positive sign and that he knows where the food is too. I am sur eyou will catch him eating soon

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I had one that did that. I thought for sure he was not going to make it and i was sick, but he is happy fat and healthy.

Like the others have said. Keep a eye on him. I assume my little one only nursed when I was not looking. (booger). If in questions also give some Nutra drench. I did it every day for a couple day to make sure he was getting the energy he needed..

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    As ..Lori ...mentioned Nutra drench is a very good idea.....it also helps with appetite... :wink:

Sounds like he is suckling.....if his tummy feels like his brothers .....the kid is being sneaky... :wink:

How is momma's bag... does she have plenty of milk?