The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just got three little nigerian does last night. This is my first time with goats. We live on a .5 lot on the county line (we are county). I have chickens too, several fruit trees, and a garden. Unfortunately, within 2 minutes the back neighbor (on his tiny subdivision lot) was yelling from his upstairs bedroom window at my 10 year old daughter while I was unloading from the driveway. Within 5 minutes he had driven the 1/2 mile around his neighborhood to our driveway, and was wanting us to get rid of the goats and the chickens! This guy was very rude. The first thing that came out of his mouth was that he wanted to call the cops but that there was already a cop here and he couldn't...fyi the hubs is a LEO. This puts us in a very awkward position. Two of the ladies are young and the third is hopefully expecting. This guy seems a bit unreasonable. He is trying to sell his house the last two months and is blaming a no sale on our chickens and goats! I don't smell a thing with my very sensitive nose but he says it wreaks. My chickens are free-ranging so it's not like we have a close quarters, smelly place. I spoke with this man's wife three weeks ago and specifically asked about the chickens...she had NO complaints and actually said she liked them. So, have any of you experienced issues with your neighbors? What do you do? I don't want to be a bad neighbor but now after our interaction and seeing how unreasonable this man is, I don't see any resolution.

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
Make sure that your DH files a report so that if anything weird happens to your goats it is there as proof of the troublemaker.
Other then that, ignore him and go on with your life. You don't have to make his life happy for him. That's his problem. As long as you are following the laws and caring for your animals in a reasonable manner, then live your life however makes you happy.

·
Registered
979 Posts
If you are legal, then I wouldn't worry about it. Most people who yell and scream and pitch a fit do it cuz they know that's all they can do. Keep a record of when he harrasses you and what he says so YOU can call the cops if you need to. I might put a privacy fence along the rear of my yard too...better view anyhow;)

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Cops wont be able to help, you need to call the Sheriff the next time he gets outta line. You are county but that doesnt mean you can have all the animals you want. Most counties have restrictions. So you might wanna call up the city hall and get in contact with someone who knows. This way when the next time this retard blows a gasket, you can calmly tell him to piss off :)

Now if it were me, Id start piling poo long the fence line with him. Id maybe even start wetting it down a bit to start it really stinking. Then flip i say ever other or 3rd day to strengthen the stink a bit :)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I have a friend that has a situation like this. Mr Neighbor is a jerk and calls the law and just generally tries to start trouble. While Mrs Neighbor is sweet as pie and brings over "I'm sorry my husband is a jerk pies". He hasn't done anything major to date. He's just unhappy and trying to make them miserable with his unhappiness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll ask the hubs to do that...he is a city cop in a different city than the one the guy lives in. We are in county...I'm just worried the animals will be killed. We all know who did if that happens.

·
Super Moderator
58,871 Posts
I agree. Make sure you can legally have goats and chickens and how many. I would lock up the goats and chickens at night. Definitely file that report.

He is probably upset that his house isn't selling as quickly as anticipated and he needs to blame someone. So he is taking it out on you. Not fair and who knows if it will escalate. Keep records of everything.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Yes make sure you are all good on your part. If need be ask someone to come out to check your place out and have it noted if your all good. Sounds like your more concerned about what he will do to your animals right??? I have never been in your shoes but along with what others have said I would make sure you have a gate at your drive way put no tress passing signs up. Depending on how much you want to spend I would also get a good hot fence and put up to keep him out. You can also put those signs up that have a pic of a camera up and I would get a game camera and place it where you can watch where he borders you but put the signs on all sides of your place. You can get the camera I think I spent $30 at Walmart for the one I have. Then if you do get it noted that your all good make a copy. Next time you see him give him the copy and tell him to have a nice day and go on with your life like you can't see or hear him........I think that's what I would do.

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
If you are legal, then I wouldn't worry about it. Most people who yell and scream and pitch a fit do it cuz they know that's all they can do. Keep a record of when he harrasses you and what he says so YOU can call the cops if you need to. I might put a privacy fence along the rear of my yard too...better view anyhow;)
Good fences make for good neighbors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the response! We are zoned urban residential in county for our block, 2 sides of our county neighbor hood are agiculutral zoned and 2 sides are city zoned. There are guide lines...per one acre, limits on animals 9 months and older. 3 goats, 20 chickens. Two of our goats are only 4 and 6 months old. We only have 13 chickens over 9 months old. Our lot is half an acre but it doesn't specify under an acre rules. I think we are totally within our limits. Heck it says we can have 50 rabbits per 1 acre which seems way worse than a few goats. Of course we don't want to be breaking laws either.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
If you're not breaking any laws, then i'd personally ignore it. Some neighbors are crazy and there's nothing you can do to please them. I can understand if there is a noise or smell issue, but if neither are an actual issue, then the neighbor needs to mind his own business.

·
1,524 Posts
Be careful. Get it logged with the officials that he is acting like this. I had a similar problem with my neighbors (who actually moved in after I was already an established farm). They tried everything to make me get rid of my animals, town officials, state, feds, newspaper, harassment, torn down fences, gates opened, etc. The officials told them there was nothing they could do, i was 100% legal. Finally one of the neighbors torched my barn and house, killing all of my goats and nearly destroying my home. I rebult and they are leaving me mostly alone now, but I did lose a lot.

I would suggest setting up motion sensor lights that cover all 4 directions of your land and a game camera or the like watching over your goats and chickens.

·
730 Posts
...Thank the GOOD LORD that I live in the country with NO CLOSE NEIGHBORS!! I SERIOUSLY think that Id "DISPATCH" someone , if they messed around "MY PROPERTY" or "MY ANIMALS" that I worked so LONG, and HARD to get! I have ZERO TOLERANCE for IDIOTS!! >> and I seem to be getting WORSE the older I get! ..lol...
Id DEFINATELY put up a camera of some kind.
BEST of Luck with this situation......

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
I agree, as long as you are legal...pay no attention to the man. Take some extra care to protect your animals by penning them up when you are not home and at night...motion lights and cameras are good too..hang cow bells all over your fence line lol...you sure wil know if someone is messing with your fence. any extra step you can do that is reasonable, do it...then live your life and pray for him...sometimes its all we can do. best wishes

·
8,168 Posts
Help the jerk sell his house! Seriously, good luck with his nonsense. If the chickens are free range, make sure they don't wander on his land.
He sounds like a miserable person- miserable people like everyone to be miserable. They hate happy, content folks!

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Help the jerk sell his house! Seriously, good luck with his nonsense. If the chickens are free range, make sure they don't wander on his land.
He sounds like a miserable person- miserable people like everyone to be miserable. They hate happy, content folks!
I agree, this man isn't happy with his life or himself so he is trying to bring everyone else down with him. Take what measures you need to protect your animals and ignore him. Hopefully his house will sell quickly so some animal lovers. Do you know anyone looking for a house? LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a neighbor like that. She comes screaming and hollering threats at 3 am. Stole 2 chickens, stole my bottle baby (who has yet to be found), and stole my dog who was found tied to a tree down the road. Sheriff doesn't do anything so we're in the process of restraining order. My other goats had to be relocated to my father in laws house for their safety.. keep a watch on your goats, and an eye on your neighbor.

·
1,524 Posts
Even though the Fire Marshalls office did a great investigation, the District attorneys office refused to prosecute. I was at work when the fire was set. Since I got the Great Pyrenees and the motion sensor lights, no one has been on my property to harass the animals but they sure did just before and again after the fire. They knew my schedule.

We had several other fires set in this area (unrelated) and some of those places were way out in the country with no one around. If it weren't for my neighbors seeing the fire, I would have lost my house and my beloved dogs also. They got the vol. fire dept to my house within minutes of it being set, saving the house and the dogs. The goats were lost the minute the bale of straw was torched, my neighbor tried to save them but couldn't.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Lottsagoats I am so sorry you had to go through that just because someone was a flaming jerk! :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts