Trouble's first freshening

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by Alexia51, Jul 21, 2020.

1. 1 month +

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Less than a month

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Alexia51

Alexia51 New Member

Jul 21, 2020
    South Africa
    Hey guys!

I'm new here and fairly new to Goat keeping.
    I've got a trio of Nigerian Dwarf Goats (two Ewes and a Buck).

Being the newb that I am, I did not make note of Trouble's last heat date and a month ago I started noticing changes in behaviour and shape so I've been keeping a close eye on her.

Last week, I saw that her udder is now dropping (tiny but round, about enough to fill my cupped hands). She has become noticeably more sociable (she wasn't bottle fed like the other two so she tends to be a bit more... independent :D). Suddenly she can't get enough of the tummy rubs and head scratches so I had a good opportunity to feel for kicks on her stomach and I did feel nudges on her right side.

She has not gone into heat in a while so I'm fairly sure she is pregnant. Her tail ligaments are still present and she has not dropped any discharge. She is a bit more lazy than usual (less climbing, she used to be a regular little acrobat, hence the name!) but still walks around with her mates and eats well.

Here are some photos:

Trouble Preggo_20-07-2020.jpg Trouble Preggo_3_20-07-2020.jpg Trouble Preggo_4_20-07-2020.jpg
    I'd just like to know roughly how far she looks to be. I've prepared my kit, I am ready to go sit with her to monitor and help if needed.

The pic of her udder doesn't really do it justice and I know that's not always a sure sign because udder development differs from doe to doe. I'll try to get a better pic now this afternoon when she's lazy.

Here's a picture of Daddy (Gordon Rammy)

GordonRammy_20-07-2020.jpg

MadHouse likes this.
  2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Very pretty goats! How old is Trouble?

My best guess is 5-6 weeks to go

MadHouse likes this.

3. Alexia51

Alexia51 New Member

Jul 21, 2020
    South Africa
    Thank you SalteyLove! Trouble is a bit over 13 months now.

MadHouse likes this.
  4. My first freshening girls in general start an udder like that around 3.5 months. BUT I've had one that didn't start ANY udder until 2-3 weeks before kidding. Trouble doesn't look that close IMO. I'd go with Saltey and say 4-6 weeks. Anytime you see an udder start forming, I think it's safe to say 4-6 weeks or so for kids. Just keep observing her and note her changes.

MadHouse likes this.
  5. Alexia51

Alexia51 New Member

Jul 21, 2020
    South Africa
    I'll definitely keep a close eye on her - I got to say, I really enjoy her temperament while she is pregnant. It really makes inspections easier! This afternoon, I was sitting with her rubbing her tummy and she was talking in her sleep :D

MadHouse likes this.
  6. It's funny, I had a doe that I sore hated me when I got her. I had to do extra to catch her, she threw huge fits, I almost regretted my decision getting her. She was fine with her previous owner, but she was and is a little spooky about things. Well, I noticed a change about 3-4 weeks bred in her demeanor. She would actually come up to me for pets, was way more calm about being caught, let me check her constantly, so different. After she kidded, she was ALL up in my business all the time. Milked her just fine and now shes's attached like glue!

So pregnancy and kidding can definitely help calm new girls! I have another new one that's not crazy but she's very cautious, hoping for the same thing to happen LOL

MadHouse likes this.
  7. Alexia51

Alexia51 New Member

Jul 21, 2020
    South Africa
    That's amazing! Trouble was very much the same - I always thought I was reading into things because the other two were bottle fed and are glued to me constantly (especially the buck) but it feels like the minute she realised she was pregnant, she suddenly starved for attention.

I hope your other cautious girl also comes around ;)

MadHouse likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    A month to 1 month and a half. ;)

MadHouse likes this.
  9. Alexia51

Alexia51 New Member

Jul 21, 2020
    South Africa
    Quick Update: Trouble's gotten larger but her udder is still fairly small (comparing with all the pics I see on the forums). The tail ligaments are still very firm and she is not leaking but she has started arching her back and pawing at the ground.

She's also significantly more needy than usual: she runs to the gate to greet me everytime I walk out of the house and follows me up and down the fence to rest her head against my knee but she's probably just confused by what's happening to her :D

I'm really hoping she doesn't try to give birth ahead of time. Her sides haven't dropped, so I'm hopeful she'll still carry to term.

anyway, just offloading some of the stress.

Will take a bit of time to snap some piccies later :)

MadHouse likes this.
  10. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Keep us updated. Will be good to see baby pics