Trout Anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by goathiker, Aug 28, 2019.

1. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

It seems our new home with a pond has a breeding population of trout or similar fish. The little guys come to the edge of the pond for for food but, I don't know what to feed them or when.
    Obviously, someone has been feeding them. I didn't get any instruction with the property.

Trollmor, Iluvlilly! and Dwarf Dad like this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How neat.

Maybe contact the realtor and see if they can ask the seller what they fed them.

Trollmor likes this.

3. spidy1

spidy1 Well-Known Member

trout are carnivores, so a pond fish food should work

4. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    You sure it is trout? Maybe, bass, brim, crappie, cats? You can feed them duck pellet. Some people feed dry dog food. They also make a pond fish pellet

5. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I bate with dog food, but i dont feed my fish. they love the dog food. they make catfish food too

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    your feed store should have trout feed. do not feed pond food the trout will not do well on it. i like floating feed it is fun watching them feed on top of the water. it is also easy to see if you are over feeding.
    if you can not find fish food call Ranger Feed 1 800 657 6446
    I think the are in Idaho

toth boer goats and Trollmor like this.
  7. goathiker

No, I'm certain that they are trout or kokanee. I used to feed the baby salmon after spawning time at another place years ago and these are almost identical to them.
    There are much bigger fish in there too. They've been jumping.
    It was kinda funny, when I saw all the little guys coming I expected tadpoles lol.

Trollmor, NigerianNewbie and Sfgwife like this.
  8. goathiker

Okay,we've found a mom and pop feed, a Wilco, and a Coastal. Will be searching out trout food this weekend. There's lots of bugs for now.

toth boer goats and Iluvlilly! like this.
  9. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    This is awesome! I really look forward to your photos, when you feed your new pets! How big is your pond? Will you eat them as well? The words I found in the dictionary lead to really delicate fish!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  10. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    Sadly i lost my trout last winter my pond froze over for the first time ever and killed the fish. I love feeding them i never eat them they were pets. I had fish that wrer 36+ inches long and weighed 30+ lbs

toth boer goats and ksalvagno like this.
  11. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    34 inches, 86 cm, wow! :)

12. Chris488

Chris488 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Upstate NY
    When I worked at the local feed store, we sold Trout Chow, I believe by Purina. Don't know if they make it anymore or not. I believe it floated as well. A friends Dad had a trout pond with a feeder set on a timer. The fish knew when that thing was gonna go off and man when it did the commotion was impressive!

goathiker, Trollmor and Iluvlilly! like this.
  13. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

Grow your own trout food, Black Soldier Fly larvae. I know you have lots of spare time:).

14. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    And when the spare time goes out, and the larvae become flying flies? ... :hide:

15. Dwarf Dad

Harmless, no mouth. All they live.for is to find a.good place to lay eggs and breed. The larvae do all of the work.

16. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Exactly! :p

17. Dwarf Dad

Exactly, what?
    Black Soldier Flies have been cultivated for years. They will lay eggs where you want. The larvae can be fed almost anything, and will convert it to useful protein and carbohydrates for use in feed for all kinds of animals.
    Just recently a large Black Soldier Fly larva producer got permitted to sell their larvae as livestock feed, they are the second one to do so. This feed is used for pond raising fish, is used for poultry and for peoples pet lizards and birds.
    If you research, you will find that that the Black Soldier Fly will also keep other flies away. They look like mud daubers, and you habe probably seen them without knowing what they were.
    As far as their usefullness while living; the BSF larvae will eat almost anything. They are not like worms, needing only vegatables, they will eat anything organic except bone and hair. The castings from the larvae can go to compost pile or worm bed. Some people even keep them together so all of the kitchen scraps can go to one place. Ever wonder what to do with dead rodents that the cats leabe laying? Throw them into the BSF larva bed. Dog poop cleaned from the yard? Same thing.

I hope this was informative for you, since you have taught me so much, John

spidy1 likes this.
  18. Chris488

Chris488 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Upstate NY
    I've thought about putting in a pond across the road and stocking it with trout, but I'm afraid it'd have to be REALLy deep ( and really expensive ) to keep it the right temperature for them.

Trollmor and Dwarf Dad like this.
  19. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Are you saying that these larvae never transform into FLYING flies?

20. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    Yes it is important to watch your water temp and oxygen levels. cold water has higher levels of oxygen. Soldier fly's and lights hanging over the water to attract moths and the like. will supplement the feed but it will not supply enough nutrition for a large number of trout.