The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I'm watching you
22,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems our new home with a pond has a breeding population of trout or similar fish. The little guys come to the edge of the pond for for food but, I don't know what to feed them or when.
Obviously, someone has been feeding them. I didn't get any instruction with the property.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
It seems our new home with a pond has a breeding population of trout or similar fish. The little guys come to the edge of the pond for for food but, I don't know what to feed them or when.
Obviously, someone has been feeding them. I didn't get any instruction with the property.
You sure it is trout? Maybe, bass, brim, crappie, cats? You can feed them duck pellet. Some people feed dry dog food. They also make a pond fish pellet

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
your feed store should have trout feed. do not feed pond food the trout will not do well on it. i like floating feed it is fun watching them feed on top of the water. it is also easy to see if you are over feeding.
if you can not find fish food call Ranger Feed 1 800 657 6446
I think the are in Idaho

·
I'm watching you
22,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You sure it is trout? Maybe, bass, brim, crappie, cats? You can feed them duck pellet. Some people feed dry dog food. They also make a pond fish pellet
No, I'm certain that they are trout or kokanee. I used to feed the baby salmon after spawning time at another place years ago and these are almost identical to them.
There are much bigger fish in there too. They've been jumping.
It was kinda funny, when I saw all the little guys coming I expected tadpoles lol.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
This is awesome! I really look forward to your photos, when you feed your new pets! How big is your pond? Will you eat them as well? The words I found in the dictionary lead to really delicate fish!

·
Registered
183 Posts
When I worked at the local feed store, we sold Trout Chow, I believe by Purina. Don't know if they make it anymore or not. I believe it floated as well. A friends Dad had a trout pond with a feeder set on a timer. The fish knew when that thing was gonna go off and man when it did the commotion was impressive!

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Grow your own trout food, Black Soldier Fly larvae. I know you have lots of spare time:).

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
And when the spare time goes out, and the larvae become flying flies? ... :hide:
Harmless, no mouth. All they live.for is to find a.good place to lay eggs and breed. The larvae do all of the work.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Exactly, what?
Black Soldier Flies have been cultivated for years. They will lay eggs where you want. The larvae can be fed almost anything, and will convert it to useful protein and carbohydrates for use in feed for all kinds of animals.
Just recently a large Black Soldier Fly larva producer got permitted to sell their larvae as livestock feed, they are the second one to do so. This feed is used for pond raising fish, is used for poultry and for peoples pet lizards and birds.
If you research, you will find that that the Black Soldier Fly will also keep other flies away. They look like mud daubers, and you habe probably seen them without knowing what they were.
As far as their usefullness while living; the BSF larvae will eat almost anything. They are not like worms, needing only vegatables, they will eat anything organic except bone and hair. The castings from the larvae can go to compost pile or worm bed. Some people even keep them together so all of the kitchen scraps can go to one place. Ever wonder what to do with dead rodents that the cats leabe laying? Throw them into the BSF larva bed. Dog poop cleaned from the yard? Same thing.

I hope this was informative for you, since you have taught me so much, John

Reactions: spidy1

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Yes it is important to watch your water temp and oxygen levels. cold water has higher levels of oxygen. Soldier fly's and lights hanging over the water to attract moths and the like. will supplement the feed but it will not supply enough nutrition for a large number of trout.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts