Trying introduction again

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by trmeyer, Mar 3, 2011.

1. trmeyer

trmeyer New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    For the 10th time...

Hello, my name is Tracy, I am from NE Missouri. I have two kinder bucks who we got as bottle babies the last week of April in 2010. the were about 7 days old. We also got from the same farm, a Kinder doe who we had hoped was bred, but she wasn't, and a Pygmy doe. We got these two goats in Mid summer last year. They have all been together since then, until earlier this week. We were working on a new fenced in area for the boys, but winter came and quickly put a halt to any post driving in the frozen ground. Ugh. So in the fall, I saw Susie (kinder doe) stand for one of the bucks. That was on October 23rd. The boys were very interested in Salty(the pygmy) also, but she never stood for them as far as I could tell. After October, nobody seemed interested in each other any more. So about 2 1/2 weeks ago, Susie starts developing an udder, and then on Monday she decided to develop teats so drastically that I went looking for kids. But she hasn't kidded yet. Salty feels like she is starting to get an udder but I'm not sure. We think Susie is a ff. The farm we got her from got her as a rescue and they never bred her, and then we don't know about her previous life. The pygmy has had one kid before, but it died, and she was never milked or anything, they let her dry up. The point of this post is, if I can actually get it to post and put a pic in it, can you look at the girls to tell me if they look alright. Their hair is not coarse. It is still soft. They do look really ragged compared to last summer, but I guess that is their winter coat. The pygmy seems to have a reddish middle coat that she didn't have in the summer that I noticed. The undercoat is black, topcoat is white. Could this just be her winter coat, or a deficiency of some sort? Thanks for looking. I hope this actually goes thru this time.

Tracy

Attached Files:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am sorry you were having difficulties ...can you describe what was happening there?

Welcome Tracy, glad to have you with us....if you have any questions....please feel free to ask...

Your girls look nice and healthy to me....and beautiful.... :thumb: :love:

Are you giving them loose salt and minerals...for goats?

Could be a copper deficiency.... if they are not getting the minerals...

or their winter coat...

3. trmeyer

trmeyer New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    My problems with posting were every time I would log in, then click to post a new topic, I would have to log in again, then when I would finally get back to the screen where I type my message, after I typed it, I would add the pic, then before it would finish loading it would have me log in again and then I would lose what I had typed and have to start all over. I made sure my pic was the right size actually much smaller I think. So I don't know what was going on. I kept clicking on the log me in every time I visit button.

Ok, on the goats:) Yes they have a loose mineral free choice, they have a salt block that they lick on, it doesn't seem to me that they are eating any mineral at all. So I have been sprinkling some on their food. They have free choice grass hay and a bit of alfalfa chops with their goat food. I don't want them to get to fat, but want to make sure they have all they need also. I've been adding a handful of BOSS to their feed for a few days as a treat. I did have this typed in one of my previous posts, but i was trying to hurry and make sure it would post:) Thanks for the reply so quick. I'm glad you think they look alright. I'm not sure what a goat really should look like. Especially if they are bred. Here is a picture of them this summer.

Tracy

Attached Files: