Trying not to Panic -- may loose goats

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by StaceyRosado, Aug 18, 2009.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    If all goes as the township is proposing I would loose my goats! :shocked:

They are changing the ordinances to allow ONLY 2 animals and NO livestock on 5 acres or less. They wouldnt even grandfather anyone in!

nothing has happened yet but they are pushing forward with it very hard.

Dont worry we are fighting it but it seems to be a loosing battle.

Right now they are in the planning stages of a new ordinance and the stuff they are using isnt even correct terminology so they are totally just making it up as they go.

I wish I had more to really go on and give you all but if they dont cancel the next Planning and Zoning meeting tonight (as they have the last two) then we will actualy see them in motion if not then they will continue to do this behind closed doors :veryangry:

There is one major lady on the Township Committee that is pushing this and she needs our Prayers. Her name is Pam Finnerty and she is hard core against our animals. Please pray that the Lord works in her heart in some form.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    :tears: :hug: :hug: :sigh:

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh no! I am so sorry Stacey. I will send prayers that somehow the people pushing this will understand where the pet AND livestock owners are coming from. That is just terrible. :hug:

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :hug: hope everything works out for the goats

5. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I am so sorry you're being subjected to this. I cannot imagine how it could be legal to not provide a "grandfather clause" when you've obviously been an established breeder for quite some time. I'm all for the prayer part, but I'd also be checking with the State government / Agricultural extension office to ask for help with your rogue city government officials.

:grouphug:

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Sounds like a good time to move to me if the ordanance goes through.........

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Im with MissMM here, see if you can get the local ag folks involved.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    there is a lady who is working that angle.

Yah Allison I will move if anything goes through.

my mom called the township today to find out more information and this guy said there was nothing going on but that we were already in violation of the existing ordiances. :shrug: I can't see how that is as I have the ordinances right here :scratch:

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry..... :( ... you are dealing with that ....I will pray... they do not pass it ..... :hug: :pray:

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH Stacey, I sure will be praying for you. I agree with Miss MM.

I know every state and county is different but here in CO once they are there and set for more the 5 years they can not make you get rid of the animals unless you were in violation first. Then as you loss a goat it has to be replaced within 30days or that is the new numbers of goats you can have until you have none.

I do not know if that makes since or not. But if you start with let say 8 goats, you will not be aloud to have more then that ever, and you sell one, now you are down to 7. You have 30 days to get another one to replace that one you sold. If it is over the 30 days then you are down to the 7 until you are down totally to 0.

How about I just pray that this lady has a change of heart and the rest of the people back you all. :pray:

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I feel there is a way to fight it and I wont go down without a fight.......it just seems way to fishy with one person saying one thing then another saying something else while their actions show something totally different :shades:

12. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    I would definatly call the state. they have to grant you grandfathered in i would think

13. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Stacey......haven't you had your animals for quite some time? Why now are they doing this? Sounds like someone is just trying to cause your family grief.......so sorry, hopefully things will go your way......hang in there :hug: .

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the township doesnt even know I have goats :p

When my mom called they said that if we have anything other then a dog or cat on the property then we are in violation already :shrug: and that the proposed changes would make us legal :scratch: so I'm now real confused

15. Deena

Deena New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    North Carolina
    It sounds like they already passed it.Id give them a fight.

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no they didnt pass anything its all talk now -- according to one comittee member

another committee member said there was a draft already made up - then when asked about it later she said there wasnt :ROFL: its all crazy and she is always saying something then changing it.

17. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    You need to get the curren and proposed ordinances in writing so you can check them.... Also most of these ordinances are only enforced as people complain so I would check to see if anyone new has moved in or if someone is upset with you. As to no grandfather clause that just seems illegal and as others have said give your state rep a call.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ohyes I have the current ordinances and it looks like we are in compliance......but my mom says we need to check out Zoning to be sure

19. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Wow...I sure hope everything works out for you. :worried:

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    The lady who everyone first started this with (beef cattle farm) happends to be on the Planning and Zoning board. Which is good.

She said nothing is written yet but the bad news is that there are only 2 people who are "on our side" on this so its convincing the other 5-6 I think it is.

There is talk just nothing actually written yet. This is going to come to a head and soon.