The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i was little we used to always have rabbits. We've bred and raised them before but its been about 5 years since we've had them. When we used to have them i didnt do much but now im the animal caregiver i guess haha. :) so ill have to take care of them along with everything else by myself, so if they are harder to take care of then i remember stop me lol. :p

One of my friends little brother got 2 baby show rabbits from our ag teacher a few years ago but didn't show them just kept them as pets. And after a while, like all kids do, he got tired of them and stopped playing with it. Then one got loose so for the past year or 2 it has set in a little cage by itself only getting fed and watered i dont even think it has any bedding just a wire cage, and its nails are really long so ill have to find a way to cut them. They aren't exactly the animal type. The other day they asked me if i wanted it. I have got most everything the way it needs to be to run smoothly, so i do need something to work on and i kinda miss the little guys.

Im not even sure what gender it is but if i do get it ill figure out if its fixed or not and get it some type of buddy where they will get along but can't reproduce haha. Is there anything i need to know? Should i use hay as bedding or shavings? Ill probably use regular rabbit pellet feed with treats every now and then. And he's been drinking out of one of those drip waterers so ill stick to that kind i guess.

I don't know whether i should get it or not so its up to yall to talk me into it or out of it haha. :D :p

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
rabbits don't really need bedding. I breed raised and showed them for 10 years and never once gave them bedding except for the rabbits in the nesting box.
and I have a friend who rabbits are her life and she plans to be a rabbit breeder and none of hers have bedding.
just the wire.

regular water bottles (the ones made for rabbits) will be just fine.
and I like the feed bins that the open part goes in the cage and the part you put the feed into goes on the out side if the cage. but a bowl will work but they will sit in it and poop in it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You really shouldn't keep a rabbit on a wire floor cage because it can start to tear up their feet and cause huge problems. My rabbit is a house rabbit. He is potty trained and neutered. Rabbits are a lot of work they need at least one cup of fresh vegetables a day. Hay is 70-80% of their diets and only 10% is pellets. Pellets that are healthy for rabbits are Timothy or alfalfa not anything bought in the store with seeds or colored food. If you need any more info I will be happy to help.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill probably keep him in the wire cage for a few days until he is settled, im not sure how tame he is but if i had to guess I'd say he is wild. Then i have a pen with dirt floor that was used for chickens but they have been moved out of there so it empty. It's pretty big probably 20ft X 15ft. Our old ones we just had 3 does and the last year we had them, we just let them roam the yard, we had a shed that was of the ground and they stayed under there and we left food and water out. And whenever we would go outside they would follow us around. Then they started digging giant holes everywhere so they had to go haha. :) thanks for the advice i think im going to get him (or her).

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
If you would be interested in keeping the rabbit indoors, go to House Rabbit Society for info. They have a lot of great tips on keeping them indoors. I used to be a member and fosterer for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts