The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 7 month old doe is acting off at first I thought maybe upset tummy or coccidia, but after dimethox treatment she's still off. at first she just stood hunched all day for 3 days then started to act a little better to just about normal then started hunching again.

Her eye lids aren't pale, so I thought tummy upset at first... I have also given her power punch several times, 200mg. of vitamin B almost daily (dimethox smeems to drain there b levels) and herbal wormer for three days for imunne support if nothing else. I also treated her for 7 days (i usually do it for 5 days) since it seemed to help and she wasn't quite 100% by day 5.

I hate to start penicillin without really knowing that's what she needs. She's not as bad as she was before the dimethox, but something is still wrong..

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well she's 100% today, go figure.
She was grinding first 4 days and had diarhea till 2days ago. I really think it was coccidia, this is the second time she's had a problem with it. Amazingly enough she is still growing just fine., I'll probably breed her at 8-9 months if she makes weight.

Thanks for your help:) this time around must have hit her harder.

·
Registered
31,019 Posts
Grinding teeth is gut pain, along with the runs I woud suspect entertoxemia..watch to see if she is getting into anything, chicken feed? stretching through the fence for weeds? something that is reaccuring...If her poop is green tinted its usually dietary, dark brown to black could be worms or cocci..
I would have a fecal done on her to be sure she is clean...and look around...if its dietary, she is being fed too much or getting into something..if htis is the case, next time she may not be able to over come on her own...C D Antitoxin will be needed.
Glad she is feeling better...Best wishes

·
Registered
31,019 Posts
Grinding teeth is gut pain, along with the runs I woud suspect entertoxemia..watch to see if she is getting into anything, chicken feed? stretching through the fence for weeds? something that is reaccuring...If her poop is green tinted its usually dietary, dark brown to black could be worms or cocci..
I would have a fecal done on her to be sure she is clean...and look around...if its dietary, she is being fed too much or getting into something..if htis is the case, next time she may not be able to over come on her own...C D Antitoxin will be needed.
Glad she is feeling better...Best wishes

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Entertoxemia did cross my mind, but she didn't have any abdomen pain and other symptoms didn't match up with entertoxemia. Her poop was a dark brown.

·
Super Moderator
59,219 Posts
Try GI Soother from Fir Meadow. I know she is better now but maybe try it if it comes up again. I have been having good results with it for coccidia and just general stomach problems that are minor.

·
Registered
31,019 Posts
Entertoxemia did cross my mind, but she didn't have any abdomen pain
the grinding of teeth is her showing the gut pain..the thing about goats is they never follow the rules lol..we can only give our best effort in treating them..one symptom of entero doesnt mean she had it and only one symptom doesnt mean she doesnt...sometimes we have to go with our gut...they are complicated animals for sure..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts