The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my old male on Apr/7/2021 ( his name was Manny, you may remember a post i made about saying goodbye to him because he was going to a new farm) and I know 100% he didn't die from worms ( I had a fecal done a couple weeks before he left our farm and he only had a few & only had a few eggs as well and yes, I did worm him either know I shouldn't have because of how little worms & eggs he had ) and he was in almost perfect condition when he left our farm to his new home.... But I was just told "Manny" had died a few days ago.... Apparently he had been headbutting trees and the guy who got him thought he may have damaged his brain. I think that could be it because there is nothing else I can think of considering he was the only male there at his new home with 5 females but...i cant help but feel guilty for him dying... I know its not my problem and the guy doesn't blame me for anything..he is a really nice man...but I still feel so bad because I feel as if I'm to blam...i don't know how to shake this feeling... I know I'm not to blam but I feel like I am... And I know the guy would not have done anything to hurt Manny. He doesnt want his money back or anything but he is heartbroken and so am I..... But I guess im just trying to figure out hoe to not feel guilty.. I know I shouldn't feel this way but I do....

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,641 Posts
I'm so sorry you are going through this! Sending virtual hugs!

The situation was beyond your control. You could not have known that selling Manny would end in his passing. You sold him healthy, to the best of your knowledge and once he was in the care of someone else it is their responsibility for the health of the animal. It's always a risk when selling an animal that this kind of thing could happen.

It's very hard to say what could have caused Manny's death, but it's highly unlikely it was just from headbutting trees. Goats are kinda made to do that. It could have been any number of things that his caretaker could have overlooked, so it is not your fault.

Give yourself time to process all this. If there's anything you'd like to talk out, we are here for you. Hugs!

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The situation was beyond your control. You could not have known that selling Manny would end in his passing. You sold him healthy, to the best of your knowledge and once he was in the care of someone else it is their responsibility for the health of the animal. It's always a risk when selling an animal that this kind of thing could happen.

It's very hard to say what could have caused Manny's death, but it's highly unlikely it was just from headbutting trees. Goats are kinda made to do that. It could have been any number of things that his caretaker could have overlooked, so it is not your fault.

Give yourself time to process all this. If there's anything you'd like to talk out, we are here for you. Hugs!
The only reason i think it could have been headbutting is i had a male "Skunk was his name" that headbutted my other buck Gizmo and gizmo in response was headbutting everything. Kinda like a drunk man, if a drunk man gets punched he is going to punch back and sometimes, even harder. So I kinda feel like he hit the tree and it missed with his head a little and he thought it was a male trying to hit him back making him hit it over and over again. Ive seen that happen before... But whatever happened...im sorry for him... and his new owner..

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had a lot of males and never had them randomly headbutt trees. Maybe he was doing that as a response to pain or something else that was going on. It's hard not to feel badly but this really was out of your control. Sending hugs!
If you read my other comment you will see why I think it could be the headbutting but. I don't know what it was but what I do know is, the new owner said when he found Manny dead he was laying at the same tree he had been headbutting.....

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So sorry that happened, that is so sad, but sounds like he was in good condition when he left your farm and that you did everything possible to make sure he had the best start at his new place. :(
Thank you... If I would have known something was wrong with him, I would have never sold him but..he was fine when he was here, he never tried to hurt anyone or anything and never headbutted the other bucks I have...i just can't figure this out..

Also thank you..

·
14,730 Posts
So sorry, that is sad, but totally out of your control. Speculating is torture, I totally sympathize. Bucks are strange creatures as it is so the only way they'd ever really get a possible answer if is they had a necropsy done. It's tough I know, but definitely don't blame yourself.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So sorry, that is sad, but totally out of your control. Speculating is torture, I totally sympathize. Bucks are strange creatures as it is so the only way they'd ever really get a possible answer if is they had a necropsy done. It's tough I know, but definitely don't blame yourself.
It is hard...very..very hard.... I'll try to do better its just i can't help but remember how happy Manny looked and how good of a goat he was...

·
14,730 Posts
I totally understand, I feel the same way any time something doesn't go right after a sale. I've sold goats that we have loved and found out later on that they passed away from random causes that was nothing I could have had any control over and it makes me sad. A major problem especially with new to goat owners or people who aren't paying close attention is worms. 9 times out of 10 that's usually the culprit. Goats weren't dewormed after moving to prevent stress related blooms or just weren't maintained months later. All we can do is try to ensure they are as healthy as possible before they leave our care.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I totally understand, I feel the same way any time something doesn't go right after a sale. I've sold goats that we have loved and found out later on that they passed away from random causes that was nothing I could have had any control over and it makes me sad. A major problem especially with new to goat owners or people who aren't paying close attention is worms. 9 times out of 10 that's usually the culprit. Goats weren't dewormed after moving to prevent stress related blooms or just weren't maintained months later. All we can do is try to ensure they are as healthy as possible before they leave our care.
I try to make sure they are as healthy as they can be before they leave.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts