Trying to pick a herd name...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by redsticker, Mar 15, 2010.

1. redsticker

redsticker Member

May 7, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    and it's driving me crazy because it seems like everything I want is taken!

We want to pick a name that both me and the hubby agree on and we need suggestions.

For ideas that had to do with the property... it's a 8+ acre hobby farm that backs up a very small river (or creek depending on the time of year), the Natalbany River (which is actually another city located elsewhere), and it's surprisingly hilly for Louisiana. There are a lot of trees but I don't know what kinds or if I'd want to name a herd after them.

We have a lot of local pride but since I'm from Baton Rouge and he's from New Orleans, we can't use anything city specific lest the other one, or our Albany neighbors, get offended. So maybe something quintessential Louisiana?

We love John Wayne movies and thought about calling the farm Innisfree after the town in the Quiet Man, but that seems to be taken. We also love Rio Bravo, El Dorado, The Sons of Katie Elder, McLintock, etc. but can't think of any snazzy names from those.

We're both huge Saints fans, so we really wanted it to be Fleur de Lis farm, but that's taken. We thought about Black and Gold Farm, but we're not so sure if we'd get in trouble for using the NFL's colors. There was a big stink locally about copyright infringement when it comes to the Saints fleur de lis and black and gold, and it's confusing.

We're Catholic so maybe something religious?

Any suggestions?

I really wish I already had my ADGA directory so I could see all the names that are already taken. :sigh:

2. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    One thing to remember is you can always call your farm one thing (for website and general use) and have your herd name be something slightly different. For instance if you really like Fleur de Lis Farm, is Fleur farm available as a herd name? or Fleur de LA (for Lousiana)?

Also, I am not a lawyer by any means, but I am pretty sure the NFL can't trademark the words black and gold. Black and gold existed long before the Saints did, and it could refer to anything -- your favorite goat colors, black soil and golden goats, etc. And I don't think they would even consider going after a small farm, can you imagine the bad PR they'd get?! As long as you don't make a logo that imitates the Saints' logo or uses the exact color gold they do (I do believe you can trademark specific colors) I think you'd be fine.

Congrats on one of the best super bowls in years, by the way... I'm a Chargers fan so I was rooting for our former QB Brees.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    terrible with naming things but thought I would say I like farmergal's ideas

4. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    I know exactly what you mean. When we were trying to get a herd name, it also seemed like everything we wanted was already taken. Names that aren't even in the current directory are still "reserved". I made a list of what names were possibilities (in order of preference) and just called ADGA. They stayed on the phone with me till we found one that wasn't taken yet - and were very pleasant about it.

As for something that is "quintessential Louisiana", what about something with "Cher" in it?

Sorry I'm not more help...