Trying to plan our Honeymoon and going crazy!

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by mistyblue, Aug 23, 2010.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    We are getting married in October :stars: and my fiance has now decided that he wants to go on our honeymoon now instead of waiting till after the first of the year.

We have decided that we want to do a cross country road trip, we will start here in Texas of course work our way up to Washington, then circle back around the northern states to Florida and back to Texas.
    We will be taking my dog with us as he does not eat when I am not home. Taking Sam is no big deal, he has already seen more states than most people.

But....we can't leave before the first. :hair: I have does due before then, also who is going to milk for us? I am going crazy trying to figure this out. :GAAH:

Has anyone else planned a long trip during kidding time and actually pulled it off? If so, I could really use some advice on what you did.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I just leave my kids on the does till I get back and then I start milking. If I have been milking and separating then I just stop the separating and let the kids nurse 24/7

3. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    That I can do but I am worried about the does that are suppose to kid while we are gone. Two of the three will be first time moms.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont go away when I have does kidding - just plain and simple, I put them in that predicament I wont leave them when they could need me. Its your goats but me personally I would say "sorry but a trip can come anytime these goats are due to kid X date I will not leave them"

Now if I had an experienced caretaker who I totally trusted then I would board them there but other then that nope I wont leave my goats who are due to kid.

5. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Wish I was closer mistyblue, I'd help you out. *hug*

6. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Thanks Epona, it really is to bad that you are not closer.

My neighbor is a very experienced goat breeder and she has offered to help out, but I think I have him talked into waiting until after the first of the year. I just do not feel comfortable about leaving those girls, besided I will have more vacation time coming after the first. LOL

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is a tough one.... :chin: I know... a honeymoon is important....but... can be canceled and re-scheduled for later......as with our Does.... we can't re-schedule when a Doe is Due to kid...... we as breeders... have a responsibility and should be there to help our does..or at least.... get someone....that knows your goats so they will not be afraid of them....and that knows goats and what to do.... if a minor... to major.... problem arises .....of any kind....sometimes kids or Does need help .....and the kids need to receive their colostrum......if you have a person.... that is unfamiliar to your goats.....it tends to stress them out....at kidding..... I would wait on the honeymoon.....
    It is truly a bad feeling .....when you come back to a mishap ....at birth.....Just my :2cents: :2cents: :hug:

Congrats on your wedding day ... :thumb: :clap: :leap: :cool:

8. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Thanks Pam, as the date gets closer I cannot decided if these butterflies are from excitement or if I am scared to death. Probably a little of both to be honest. :)

We have decided to wait until after the first, that way I have more vacation days and the girls will be through kidding by then.