Trying to put weight on doe.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Champion Fence Jumpers, May 18, 2020.

1. Champion Fence Jumpers

Champion Fence Jumpers Active Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    I have a 1 year old ND that is only about 40-50 pounds. She is a little skinny and boney. I am going to try to get a fecal test done this month but I was just wondering what feed is good for putting weight on goats? Is whole oats better than pellets? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Alfalfa pellets and beet pulp are good. Also a little calf manna.

3. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

Is she a purebred Nigerian Dwarf? From my experience..40-50lbs is a normal weight for Nigerians. Is she getting any grain? If so..what kind?

4. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Yes she is a registered Nigerian Dwarf. She has been getting this https://martindalefeed.com/mfm-product/14-meat-goat-pellet/
    everyday. I was feeding oats too but they ran out.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    I would like to put more meat on her bones. You can feel her back bone and her hips kinda stick out a little, also her legs just look thin to me, but that is before she starts eating. She also is copper deficient but recovering! I copper bolused her 2 months ago. I can take a photo of her tomorrow if you’d like?

6. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Are these alfalfa pellets good? Also should I use beet pulp pellets or shreds? 2F1F7249-DCC7-4378-9113-081A21B9942D.jpeg

0E38FAEE-9221-4F4E-84B6-62E4D947747E.jpeg

CaramelKittey likes this.
  7. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    We use the beet pulp pellets. :)
    I use Purina Miniature Horse & Pony grain to put weight on goaties.

8. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Some people say alfalfa isn’t good for them. Is Timothy hay pellets better?

9. CaramelKittey

If you are able to get a picture of her, that would be fantastic. Thank you. I hope she will recover soon. :D
    Is she in milk? From what I've heard, alfalfa pellets are for does in milk. ;)

10. CaramelKittey

Nevermind. Just remembered she was only one year old. :heehee:

11. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Alfalfa pellets are fine.
    Here is what I use to put weight on any skinny goaties.

For does:
    About 2 cups of alfalfa pellets per day (work up slowly starting with 1/2 cup). If they will eat more than 2 cups a a day then by all means let them! They will eat more while gaining weight and then once they are at a proper weight bring them down to 2 cups a day just for maintenance.
    About 1 cup of beet pulp pellets a day.
    About 2 cups of Purina Miniature Horse & Pony Feed per day. Start slow with 1/4 to 1/2 cup and work your way up. (You could work up to more than 2 cups but I haven't needed to)

For wethers or bucks I would do this:

(ratios from goathiker):
    A mix of
    2 parts alfalfa pellets
    1 part beet pulp pellets
    1 part Timothy pellets

So, I do 1 and 1/2 cup of alfalfa pellets
    3/4 cup beet pulp pellets
    3/4 cup timothy grass pellets
    so the total amount is 3 cups of chow per day. Plus about 2 cups of Purina Miniature Horse & Pony Feed per day. With that start slow with 1/4 to 1/2 cup and work your way up. (You could work up to more than 2 cups but I haven't needed to)

You can increase the amount though. As long as you stick to those ratios when feeding bucks/wethers.

That is if the goats are eating a low protein grass hay though (which ours are). If they are eating alfalfa hay then feed less alfalfa pellets because they are just ground up alfalfa hay. :)

12. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Okay, so 5 cups total everyday? She is quite small only about 18 inches tall and about 20 inches from her rump/back leg to her brisket. Also I’ve heard alfalfa binds with copper so it makes them more copper deficient, don’t know if that’s true but she is already copper deficient and her coat is reddish brown which it’s supposed to be jet black.

13. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Yes 5 cups is what you work up to. But it also depends on the goat. She could need more or that could be too much. Just start slow.

14. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Here is some photos of her from this morning. Her winter coat is gone so she looks even more skinny.

82A10374-5E9D-4DA9-BCB2-A980E7223FBE.jpeg
    She was in this stance with her legs spread out. But you can see she is thin. 6CABB215-C77C-46C0-8921-13BBA359C970.jpeg 38C9B9BA-40F6-421B-8019-A56D602D7349.jpeg C33DDF9F-8CCE-4284-86DE-0E00CE317C63.jpeg

15. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    I would start her on Replamin Plus, get a fecal, and keep up with copper bolusing (I know you said you bolused 2 months ago but you can give more as soon as improvement stops)
    And the feed of course. :)

16. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Okay would calf manna work better than the pony and horse feed? People use it for putting weight on horses.

17. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

She doesn't look that bad to me. Probably the mini horse and pony feed should be fine.

18. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    She looks to be a healthy weight. You don't want to get her fat because it can cause problems with her organs. We are a world of people who think fat is normal.
    Its okay to feel spine and hip and a little ribs

19. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Thanks for your opinion! She definitely isn’t bad, but I would like to see her a little more filled out.

CaramelKittey likes this.
  20. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    She has a very dairy build which is giving her a thin appearance but that is normal for a dairy goat. Shes not going to "fill out" until shes full grown and grows into herself.