·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is she a purebred Nigerian Dwarf? From my experience..40-50lbs is a normal weight for Nigerians. Is she getting any grain? If so..what kind?
I would like to put more meat on her bones. You can feel her back bone and her hips kinda stick out a little, also her legs just look thin to me, but that is before she starts eating. She also is copper deficient but recovering! I copper bolused her 2 months ago. I can take a photo of her tomorrow if you'd like?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Some people say alfalfa isn't good for them. Is Timothy hay pellets better?
Alfalfa pellets are fine.
Here is what I use to put weight on any skinny goaties.

For does:
About 2 cups of alfalfa pellets per day (work up slowly starting with 1/2 cup). If they will eat more than 2 cups a a day then by all means let them! They will eat more while gaining weight and then once they are at a proper weight bring them down to 2 cups a day just for maintenance.
About 1 cup of beet pulp pellets a day.
About 2 cups of Purina Miniature Horse & Pony Feed per day. Start slow with 1/4 to 1/2 cup and work your way up. (You could work up to more than 2 cups but I haven't needed to)

For wethers or bucks I would do this:

(ratios from goathiker):
A mix of
2 parts alfalfa pellets
1 part beet pulp pellets
1 part Timothy pellets

So, I do 1 and 1/2 cup of alfalfa pellets
3/4 cup beet pulp pellets
3/4 cup timothy grass pellets
so the total amount is 3 cups of chow per day. Plus about 2 cups of Purina Miniature Horse & Pony Feed per day. With that start slow with 1/4 to 1/2 cup and work your way up. (You could work up to more than 2 cups but I haven't needed to)

You can increase the amount though. As long as you stick to those ratios when feeding bucks/wethers.

That is if the goats are eating a low protein grass hay though (which ours are). If they are eating alfalfa hay then feed less alfalfa pellets because they are just ground up alfalfa hay. :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alfalfa pellets are fine.
Here is what I use to put weight on any skinny goaties.

For does:
About 2 cups of alfalfa pellets per day (work up slowly starting with 1/2 cup). If they will eat more than 2 cups a a day then by all means let them! They will eat more while gaining weight and then once they are at a proper weight bring them down to 2 cups a day just for maintenance.
About 1 cup of beet pulp pellets a day.
About 2 cups of Purina Miniature Horse & Pony Feed per day. Start slow with 1/4 to 1/2 cup and work your way up. (You could work up to more than 2 cups but I haven't needed to)

For wethers or bucks I would do this:

(ratios from goathiker):
A mix of
2 parts alfalfa pellets
1 part beet pulp pellets
1 part Timothy pellets

So, I do 1 and 1/2 cup of alfalfa pellets
3/4 cup beet pulp pellets
3/4 cup timothy grass pellets
so the total amount is 3 cups of chow per day. Plus about 2 cups of Purina Miniature Horse & Pony Feed per day. With that start slow with 1/4 to 1/2 cup and work your way up. (You could work up to more than 2 cups but I haven't needed to)

You can increase the amount though. As long as you stick to those ratios when feeding bucks/wethers.

That is if the goats are eating a low protein grass hay though (which ours are). If they are eating alfalfa hay then feed less alfalfa pellets because they are just ground up alfalfa hay. :)
Okay, so 5 cups total everyday? She is quite small only about 18 inches tall and about 20 inches from her rump/back leg to her brisket. Also I've heard alfalfa binds with copper so it makes them more copper deficient, don't know if that's true but she is already copper deficient and her coat is reddish brown which it's supposed to be jet black.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Okay, so 5 cups total everyday? She is quite small only about 18 inches tall and about 20 inches from her rump/back leg to her brisket. Also I've heard alfalfa binds with copper so it makes them more copper deficient, don't know if that's true but she is already copper deficient and her coat is reddish brown which it's supposed to be jet black.
Yes 5 cups is what you work up to. But it also depends on the goat. She could need more or that could be too much. Just start slow.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Here is some photos of her from this morning. Her winter coat is gone so she looks even more skinny.

View attachment 181629
She was in this stance with her legs spread out. But you can see she is thin. View attachment 181631 View attachment 181633 View attachment 181639
I would start her on Replamin Plus, get a fecal, and keep up with copper bolusing (I know you said you bolused 2 months ago but you can give more as soon as improvement stops)
And the feed of course. :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would start her on Replamin Plus, get a fecal, and keep up with copper bolusing (I know you said you bolused 2 months ago but you can give more as soon as improvement stops)
And the feed of course. :)
Okay would calf manna work better than the pony and horse feed? People use it for putting weight on horses.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She looks to be a healthy weight. You don't want to get her fat because it can cause problems with her organs. We are a world of people who think fat is normal.
Its okay to feel spine and hip and a little ribs
Thanks for your opinion! She definitely isn't bad, but I would like to see her a little more filled out.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts