The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had 2 babies born on out little farm back in March, one has passed on to greener pastures today. I had given both of them a dose of BioMycin yesterday as they were showing some symptoms of Mycoplasma bacteria, stiff gait only. No fever, no loss of appetite, both were peeing and pooping normally. Now Smokey, PaintRags brother is still alive but not doing so good. He is walking with a stiff gait but otherwise looking fine. All the goats get a high copper loose mineral free choice. They were both wormed last week with Moxidextin as their eyelids were light pink. They also received an iron shot because of the very light eyelids. Today Smokey's eyelids are white. ALL the other goats are fine, including the 2 other babies that were born in January.

Between being at the hospital with my mom and trying to work, my goats are suffering. I do not have the money for a vet since we have been living off my savings for the 3 months I have been on FMLA leave. Does anyone have any ideas what to do next?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were both treated for cocci when they were 2 months old. In fact all 8 goats were treated as a prevention when it was so wet. I know these are things I should know but my brain is in a fog due to lack of good sleep and the loss of the little guy. Do you think I need to treat again. I need to do a fecal of Smokey today if I can see in the microscope.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
I would cocci treat again personally - I cocci treat at 3-4 weeks old, again at 3 months and then give them a weekly dose as perventative until they are about a year.

What type of wormer did you use?

Is he kind of hunched or like his back legs are tucked under?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He isn't hunched and his back legs are not tucked under him. He walks like he has splints on his back legs. He can bend them to lay down or to get up. Hes very depressed looking. I will treat him again for cocci after I do the fecal. IF he does have cocci wouldn't he be showing more cocci like symptoms? He doesn't have a fever since his temp is 102.5, still eating and drinking.

He isn't running or jumping around like a normal 4 month old baby. Hes just walking very slowly, it may take him 5 minutes to get from one side of his pen to the other. His pen is about 150ft long. Even at feeding time he walks stiffly and slow while the other goats make a mad dash.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do older babies develop white muscle disease? This baby is almost 4 months old.

To answer one of the questions I forgot to answer, He was wormed with Quest this last time.

I am confused because he doesn't have very many symptoms that point toward specific problems. Hes had his CDT shot so I don't think its tetanus, he is polled and intact so its not from that. Hes just depressed looking and slow moving. No fever or low temperature. Still eating and drinking. I checked his feet and found nothing odd except that they do need to be trimmed a bit.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I hear quest is dangerous to worm goat with -- that might be your culprit.

A stiff gait sounds like possible enterotoxemia - do you have any CD antitoxin?? if they were given the CD/T to young then it wouldnt have been effective -- also CD/T only covers some forms of enterotoxemia not all

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quest is 4x as strong as the injectable so they were given 1/4 cc which was drawn up in a needleless syringe.

I do have C&D antitoxin on hand

The symptoms appeared before they were wormed with Quest. Both had a worm load when I did the fecal. I use ivermectin and then Quest 10 days later and never had a problem.

We thought it was a problem with the hay so its now in the garden. I didn't see any mold but I suppose it could have been on there when it was baled. They now have hay from a different supplier, cut in a totally different area. No other goats are showing any symptoms, only the 2 babies were showing any symptoms.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just did another fecal on Smokey. I found what looks like HC eggs AND Coccidia. Can he be treated for both at the same time without sending him over the bridge at a faster rate?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SulMet and Ivermectin

This is what I found under the microscope. I am not exactly sure which one they are, worms or cocci

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I gave Smokey 1.5 cc's injectable ivermectin orally since they look like worm eggs. I don't know if I should treat him for cocci since whats in the picture was all I saw. I saw quite a few of them on that little 1x1 slide cover.
From the recommendation of Ashley I also gave him 4cc Sulmet.

Do I have to wait 10 days to see if the Ivermectin is working if those are worm eggs? I know to worm again in 10 days. I just want to know how soon I can fecal again.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the little guy is still alive. I gave him a dose of power punch for the iron content. His eyes are still pale but its too soon for another iron shot. ALL the goats got wormed today with 1% ivermectin injectable given orally. The older goats had light pink eye lids but the younger ones had pale pink. This has been the wettest spring and summer I can ever remember. Not so much in the number of rain days, although there have been a lot, but rather the amount of rain falling, 2 or 3 inches at a time. Although I may complain about the cold temps, I will be glad when we get that first cold snap. Maybe it will kill out some of the worms. My next day off I will have to trim feet so I don't end up with another problem.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts