The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this a.m. I stop at TSC on my way home from work to pick up some dewormer, because I needed to drive past there to get home anyway. I cruise through the self check out. Sometimes I just do not want to wait 15 minutes for a cashier. $29.00 later I am out the door and on my way.

So later in the day my wife wants to go to TSC so we head over to the one closest to us they have a mobile vet there on weekends and the three littles ( Great Pyrenees puppies) needed their second round of shots, we load ‘‘em up and head out.

I was wondering wondering why the same dewormer same size etc was $45.00 there? So the new manager there says well it’s because the other TSC is a competitive pricing store! Because there is a Rural King nearby. Me well there is no Rural king with in 90 miles. Well it’s because there is a similar store nearby. They have different pricing then we do.

Was I out of line thinking why did he not just tell me we will match the other TSC price? It was just more or less if you do not like it do not shop here. But supposedly customers are important at TSC.

I told my wife I think it’s time to start planning our trips to RK.

·
Registered
791 Posts
So one tractor supply charged $29 and the other 45???? That is nuts! But shouldn’t surprise me. The same truck delivers to the 3 tractor supply’s in the 3 towns closest to me. The one won’t carry wind and rain minerals, the other claims I have to order a whole pallet and the third I can walk in and get it. The only thing is I really don’t like that town much so it’s basically a special trip there

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm surprised they wouldn't match. I actually have 2 TSC near me with different pricing and some items significant. But the higher price TSC will match the price of the lower TSC.
From what I understand the higher priced TSC has issues making sales, so I do not get it. There are a lot of things that go into being profitable, one of the big ones is providing service. I know personally I really do not mind spending a bit more for things when people are service oriented. But seriously $16.00 more for the same thing!

I guess it makes sense to price yourself above the competition and be absent any level of customer service. Seems like a solid business plan for establishing repeat customers and building relationships.

I guess I am outdated in that I still believe in customer service and courtesy.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good news is Often times I will cover a lot of ground for my job, and RK is always seems to appreciate my business. so there is that. Sad thing is its kind of like not shopping at one of the big box retailers, it really does not matter if you shop there or not it is not really going to impact them. But still I feel better knowing that I am not spending my hard earned $'s there.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
TSC used to be the place to go but my closest one has been so horrible I now have to drive out of my way between 4 other TSC stores to get what I need. They have lost a fortune in sale from me as I now buy all my grain from agrifeed instead. I even put in a request for a RK to open on that town. Fingers crossed. TSC does nothing even when you put in complaints with district

·
Registered
723 Posts
Try writing to the head office.

Usually the point of franchise locations is consistency. Consistency in products carried with some variation depending on demand and consistency in product pricing within a region. The whole idea behind franchising is to replicate a proven formula. Franchise customers expect a similar experience each time they walk into a location. That is what makes them successful.

·
Administrator
85,665 Posts
It is ridiculous, price gouging, not fair. This should be one price and nothing more.

Our Ace store does weird pricing.
If a product sells well, they decide to raise the price up.After a few times of buying it.
We stopped buying things they raised prices on. Funny how now, they cannot sell that same product now. Still sitting on the shelf, LOL.
I don’t know if they will ever get it, people do not want to pay higher prices, when they can go elsewhere.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I try to use my local feed store as much as I can. But I have a love hate relationship with TSC. They have some things that the feed store does not have and some stuff that are WAY cheaper then the feed store. My dog food is almost $10 cheaper there. Their protein tubs are a lot cheaper and I like them more then the crystalyx the feed store carries. But things like the chicken food which is $1 more at the feed store, I’ll pay the extra dollar. I can afford that and they appreciate the business. Plus I don’t have to stand around begging someone to help load me when I hurt my back, they just grab what I bought and load it up.
But the fact is I have enough livestock I have to shop around and any little bit that I save by doing so helps out a lot! If I was rich though I don’t think TSC would get any of my money

·
8,492 Posts
We were down near Columbus, Oh a few weeks ago and saw a Rural King. Wow, what a great store! They are like a TSC on Sterioids! Boy, I wish we had one near us. There is a Family Farm and Home, but they are not great. The only thing they have is a hardware area better than TSC. (which is cross the street from FFH.) We need a Rural King to make TSC keep their prices more
reasonable!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts