Tube Cystotomy

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by imaginationacres, Jan 10, 2011.

1. imaginationacres

imaginationacres New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Hi folks,

Bad day here... After Dixie's abscess the other day now Dude my new buck has a urethral obstruction. He was fine on Saturday, yesterday he was splinting and seemed painful, I didn't note any urine flowing. Being a Sunday no vet could come out and I did't feel comfortable taking him to the small aniaml Er I work at, so I started him on AC drench and called the vet out first thing this morning.

The vet gave him a sedative, he'd already had most of his pizzle cut off previously but she was able to remove the remnants of the urethral process but there is no blockage at the distal end which means the blockage is probably further up.. The urine was slightly sludgy in the process.

He's on pain meds, vitamins injections and Flumix. Neither of us were really able to palpate his bladder but I know this can be challenging because of where his bladder is located, although there's a chance it ruptured. Prior to sedation he was looking a little brighter and was chewing his cud/walking around.

The vet strapped a pad to him to monitor any urine output and he's taking Methio-Form to try and acidify the urine. If no improvement she's recommending a surgical tube cystotomy tomorrow. Has anyone had this performed on their goats with success? I'm just trying to be prepared for whats to to come.. I've only had him a week but am very attached and worried. :( :(

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Whitney I'm so upset to read this and the email you sent. I am hoping for the best for Dude and I really feel terrible for you :(

I'm praying he pulls through.

Did you start him on AC drenches? I'm sure you have but the 'fixer' in me needs to suggest something

You have my number you can call me - I also emailed you back

3. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I'm so sorry you're having to go thru all this.. especially with a brand new buck.... I pray it all works out.

4. imaginationacres

Sep 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Thank you so much for the support.

And thank you Stacey for the encouragement, he had an AC drench yesterday and this morning and now that vet is having me give the Methio-Form instead its like a prescription strength product to acidify urine and hopefully dissolve the calculi.

I went ahead and scheduled the surgery for tomorrow morning. I'll keep everyone posted on how things go.

5. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Oh no! Sending good thoughts your way -- please ask your vet about a procedure our vets have used out here. They draw some urine out of the bladder and replace it with an acidic solution so it can work on the stones in the bladder directly. They also with run a catheter up the urethra with the solution as far as they can to work on that end too. It's a common procedure in cats, but pretty new in goats. The solution is either "Warpoles" or "Walpoles." I don't nkow which, but youcould give it a try... good luck

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I'm so sorry :hug: ......I hope all goes well tomorrow.

Stacey..... :hug: to you to as I know this is hard for you!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Prayers sent that way...I am very sorry... :( :hug: :pray:

8. imaginationacres

Sep 27, 2009
    Virginia
    GOOD NEWS to report this morning! It seems the additional amputation of the urethral process and finally succesfully placing a catheter and flushing the urethra with saline did the trick, he is urinating a mostly steady stream this morning. So long as this continues he won't need surgery which is a huge relief. He is eating, drinking and much less painful. Treatment will continue til he's totally in the clear but I think things are looking up for Dude!

On a side note, Methio-Form (methionine) tablets are much more toxic in high doses to dogs than Animal Poison Control has on record. My genius dogs got ahold of the bottle for Dude and ingested 106 tablets among the 3 of them. They are now hospitalized and exhibiting CNS symptoms... Poison Control thinks they should be clear within 24 hours but just in case your vet prescribes this medication be sure to keep it well out of reach of your dogs!

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Congrats...love hearing good news... :leap:

But... I am so very sorry ...about your Dog... :( ....how scary.....hope it will be alright..... :hug:

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I was so relieved to read the email about Dude but feel so bad for your dogs -- praying for their full recovery :hug: and that you can enjoy all your animals without all this craziness

11. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    :clap:for Dude and :pray: for your pups to fully recover......why is it that when it rains, it pours!

12. imaginationacres

Sep 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks everyone! Dude is doing fantastic this evening, I never thought I'd be so relieved to see a steady stream of urine before... He's feeling well enough that he's really fighting me for medication administration.

And 1 of my 3 dogs was discharged this evening, the other 2 should come home tomorrow morning. All in all an expensive last few days but I'm so thankful every critter is on the mend.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your so welcome......I am glad to hear ....such good news...... :clap: :cool: :thumb: :hug: :hi5: