The Goat Spot Forum banner

Tube feeding issues

579 Views 14 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  toth boer goats
I have a baby goat that is a day old. He is a triplet. Very small. He was born breech and lifeless.
I brought him inside to be a bottle baby. No suck reflex so he has had bo-se and vit e. Also, vit b complex
I have been tube feeding him his mom's milk and he seemed to be doing great! This morning, when I tried to tube him he went limp, like he died! I rubbed him and got him going again.
I tried again a few minutes ago and the same thing happened! What could be causing that? I am sure I am in the right spot.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
That is strange. What breed? Could be too much stress for him.
Have you tried bottling him again? Rub his gums with a tiny pinch of cayenne and honey..then try a bottle. Some times pulsing the bottle and allowing time for him to swallow will encourage suck reflex. Another trick is put a little honey on your finger and place far back on his tongue to stimulate sucking reflex. Do this a few times until he's sucking good. Then try bottle.
Reactions: 3
That is strange. What breed? Could be too much stress for him.
Have you tried bottling him again? Rub his gums with a tiny pinch of cayenne and honey..then try a bottle. Some times pulsing the bottle and allowing time for him to swallow will encourage suck reflex. Another trick is put a little honey on your finger and place far back on his tongue to stimulate sucking reflex. Do this a few times until he's sucking good. Then try bottle.
He is nigerian dwarf and he is so tiny. I just tried the honey/cayenne. Still no reflex, but I will keep working on it. I'm too afraid to tube him anymore. Hopefully he will figure the bottle out soon.
Reactions: 2
Yes..that is scary. How much BoSe did he get?
Yes..that is scary. How much BoSe did he get?
1/4 cc of BoSe
Should of got an 1/8th but a 1/4 might be ok, if selenium deficient.
Sadly, he passed away yesterday afternoon.
I will correct my notes to 1/8cc I feel terrible. I don't know if that is what caused his trouble but I will always wonder. I hate loss.
Reactions: 1
I am so very sorry for your loss :(
I don’t think that was the cause. He was showing clear signs of selenium deficiency for sure. I once gave a boer kid his 1/2cc shot and then delivered 3 does kids and went back and forgot I had already given him his shot and gave another 1/2cc and he was not showing any signs of selenium deficiency. So although selenium can be over dosed I think there is a bit more room for error then we give. Not saying you should give all animals a abundance amount of selenium! But I really don’t think that is what killed the kid.
Reactions: 4
I am so very sorry for your loss :(
I don’t think that was the cause. He was showing clear signs of selenium deficiency for sure. I once gave a boer kid his 1/2cc shot and then delivered 3 does kids and went back and forgot I had already given him his shot and gave another 1/2cc and he was not showing any signs of selenium deficiency. So although selenium can be over dosed I think there is a bit more room for error then we give. Not saying you should give all animals a abundance amount of selenium! But I really don’t think that is what killed the kid.
We live in a very deficient area. I do BoSe 3 weeks before kidding and during breeding season. Ive always used 1/4 for kids born with wonky legs. I think maybe he just had something wrong with him that couldn't be fixed.
I've always used 1/4cc BoSe for Nigerians and 1/2cc on full size. I'm sorry for your loss but it wasn't the BoSe.
I am so very sorry. :(
I’m so sorry you lost him. Tiny ones are tough, I had one last year that was just like your boy. He probably did have more going on that you couldn’t fix. You did your best (HUG)
Awe. I'm sorry. I agree..bose didn't cause it. With him passing out during tubing tells me something wasn't right with him. Possible heart condition. I'm very sorry
Thank you everyone ❤
🤗
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.