Tuberculosis???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by PotterWatch, Apr 7, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    My Mom emailed me worried about one of our goats having tuberculosis. I do have a doe that has had a cough since I got her. I treated her for lungworms once and it seemed to clear up, but then she went back to the breeder we bought her from to be rebred and came back coughing again. I have treated her again since she came back (just gave the second dose about a week ago), and again it seems to be better, but her cough is not entirely gone so I plan to worm her again. I have been operating under the assumption that she has lungworm. My Mom apparently read an article about TB in goats that freaked her out and now she's got me worried as well. Should I get this goat tested for TB? If so, how and where is that done? She is in milk and we have been drinking her milk.

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I think TB is pretty rare, however it wouldn't hurt to get her tested. My vet does mine, they put a shot of something in the skin part on the tail, and then you take her back in 3 days to check and see if she had a reaction to it. No reaction = negative.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would definitely have her tested...... for your peace of mind.... :hug:

that way .....you will know for sure.... :wink:

4. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I agree test. It may cost a bit, but you and your mom will feel better. Send in a fecal( :angel2: ) too. I learned my lesson on that.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    very good point....Jason... :wink: :D

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I know a bunch of Pygmy people that go from Co to New Mexico and they have to have a TB test done EVERY time they go to that show.
    I would have her tested.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    It wont hurt her and its real simple to do.

Unfortunatly Lung worms rarely show up on a fecal - but it would still be a good idea to do.

What are you using to treat the lung worms and what dosage?

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Could be Pasturella?? :shrug:

Testing certainly can't hurt, like everyone mentioned. . .

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    I gave her IverCare, a dollop about the size of a large pea.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Oh she needs MUCH more then that I would believe.

Weigh her and then triple her weight - give the dosage according to that weight.

Underdosing means you dontn get enough of the worms to actually be effective. It is better to "overdose" since it wont harm them and you ensure that you actually are treating the problem

You might need to find a new wormer now though as the worms become resistant quickly if you underdose to often

11. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Unfortunately, TB is now showing up in Goats. Here in Ireland, a couple of dairy herds, got it, some GGs got in England, and the Bovine TB in UK seems to have developed the ability to affect other species. There has been a case or two of cats and dog even. I would get her tested just for peace of mind. I'm waiting for the vet to get back tome with a date for my test here. Dreading it, since a farm beside me had some possible reactors, I wasnt notified though.

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With the Iver Care paste, I use a syringe to push the paste into....the dose for a 250# pony is what I use on my does because their weights when tripled come pretty close to that. 2 1/2 cc in a syringe is the dose for a 500# horse...I give my girls 2 cc as I figure that little bit more won't hurt.
    Have her tested for TB, seeing as it is rare but poossible having her tested will ease your mind.