Tubes!

Discussion in 'Equipment For Sale' started by AlaskaBoers, Apr 29, 2009.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    anyone willing to part with 20 or so red top tubes, i'll pay shipping and a reasonalbe amount per tube. just dont want to buy 100!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    i still have some - let me know your address again and I can ship them off to you

3. sesa

sesa New Member

May 14, 2009
    Maryland
    Excuse the newbie, but what are red top tubes?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am not a newbie and I'd like to know as well........ :wink: :) :scratch: :help: :)

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    theyre vaccutainer tubes- for blood collection, you just poke the needle w/blood into the top and the built-in vaccum will suck the serum in. pretty handy!
    I did find some...thanks Stacey!
    :)

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you use them to send samples of blood to a lab for testing

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :thumbup: thanks....that makes sense now....... :doh: :D

8. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Anyone want to sell me about eight of them. I called vet and they wont sell them to me. He wants me to bring all the goats into him. Not going to happen. But Im wanting to test this month and I dont want to buy 100 of them either since I just have the eight Im going to test. I will buy them from you and pay shipping. Thanks so much.

9. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Let me check how many I have- but I bought a box of 100 this Feb to test and I think I've only used about half of them

10. ProctorHillFarm

OH yeah- I have a whole bunch left, I could send you some :) send me a pm if your interested

11. citylights

citylights New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    What are you guys getting ready to test for? And isn't it fun trying to draw blood on a BUCK? Do the vet supply catalogues only sell by 100's or can you split them up? As you can tell, I'm clueless...

12. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Im getting ready to test for CAE and CL. My vet wouldnt sell me the tubes and the only other way I could buy them was by the 100 and didnt need that many at this time. Ive never drawed blood but my friend draws it from people so we are hoping she can do it from my goats.

Thanks ProctorHillFarm for your help.

13. Well, I can get blood from any one of you with my eyes closed but not sure I would try it on my goat.

Red top means no additive or serum seperator if it's the same as people's.

14. ProctorHillFarm

drawing blood from goats is super easy- especially if you have someone to hold the goat while you draw the blood- i also always shave their neck so I can get a good look at the jugular.

15. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Well I cant afford to take them to the vet, cause he wont do house calls. So we are going to do our best. Im going to hold and she is going to draw blood. I hope we do it right, but I guess I have to start somewhere. I have read and read about it. So wish me luck.

16. Is this the only place to draw? I know I have drawn some arteries and jugular on people and it has to be packed pretty good after to stop the bleeding. With it as hot as it is I would use a pressure bandage for sure just in case but that is me. Maybe goats are not like people?

17. ProctorHillFarm

sometimes theres an extra drop or two of blood that comes out, but thats it, never needed to bandage or even apply pressure to where I drew the blood :shrug:

18. Interesting? :? Well, I will share a story so I do believe you. She did not bleed to death but bled a lot and I am sure it was dumb luck that kept her alive too.

Anyway, when we first got goats I knew next to nothing and gave the shot in the neck, like horses. Well Lucie was so wild I had to just stick. I ended up in her jugular with that needle and did not realize it till I was out and she bled quite a bit. I had to hold her down and keep pressure on it for a few and it finally stopped but boy did I flip. I thought, just bought this CRAZY animal and I am going to have her dead within 48 hours. :roll: Anyway, we give them in the hip now but I was scared that was the only reason I questioned it to begin with.

19. ProctorHillFarm

Oh my- that must have been scary!

Most shots to goats can be given just under the skin in the neck- I pull up on the skin and make a little tent on the topside of their neck by their shoulders and thats it- its never easy when they are jumping around like monkies while your trying to do it though :wink:

20. I understand and do as well, but when you are wrestling a goat to the ground for the first time that is not a reality. LOL

Lucie was NUTS when I got her. LOL