Tummy ache/ constipation?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Amos, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    My whether Micky, acts like he has a tummy ache, and he seems to try to go to the bathroom but doesn't or can't. whats wrong?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Does his tummy look bloated and hard? Is he trying to pee or poo? Have you received a temp on him? What is the color of his eyelids? Is he eating and drinking?

Sorry for all the questions~

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    might be Urinary Calculi ?

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Toth -

That was my first thought also - but it said constipation in the title - I hope that it is not a urinary blockage :(

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I hope it is not either ..........but the symptom of trying to go but can't .........sure sounds like it could be? ............ You know the positions they get into when they pee.........?
    Is he standing that way when he is trying??

6. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    When he tried going to the bathroom he'd be standing, he ate/drank fine last night, we had the vet over though, he said it was calcium deposits or 'stones' in the urinary tract. He tried working it out but couldn't get it, he said he broke it up though and told us to give 1-2 grams of ammonia chloride orally. Micky is going to be ok!

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Well I am glad that you had the vet out yesterday and you already know what is wrong.

Good luck with him and keep us posted!

Allison

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yep..we all suspected Urinary Calculi ................I am so glad a vet looked at him..............with your quick actions ..you saved your goat......................I am glad he will be OK :thumbup: :)

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Great that you knew something was wrong so quickly....and it was awesome to have the vet out right away. Might I suggest what I've been doing with my bucks...just in case they would have this issue? I got 2 lbs of ammonium chloride from Hoeggars Supply and I mix it with their loose minerals....never had a case of stones yet...even before I started taking the precautions...but this is for my peace of mind, and I'm sure your et cautioned you that it may happen again and to cut down on the grain as well as any high calcium/phosphorus feed and hay...alfalfa has a high calcium content.

Glad that Mickey is going to be allright, he has a wonderful and loving owner to have caught this so fast :thumb: :hug:

10. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yes the vet said that once theres one stone, theres could easily be more. I think I had read something about it once, but when he started acting the way he did, I was too frantic to remember anything. Its easy to find something in the books once you already know what it is. We purchased several grams of what the lab had on hand, but once they get more we'll be getting probably a gallon bucket of it. From now on they'll be getting some in their minerals, thats for sure.