Turkey poults sale

Discussion in 'Chickens & Poultry' started by Jessica84, May 16, 2020.

1. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I went onto Cackle Hatchery yesterday to look at some chickens, out of pure boredom lol but they always have a weekly deal going on. This week they have hatchers choice on heritage turkeys for $5.95 but they are only doing it on the poults that hatch on May 20th. That is almost 1/2 the price of what they normally ask. It’s a minimum of 3 maximum of 40 so not too bad if someone only wanted a few, but shipping is cheaper if it’s 15 or more.
    I ordered 15 last month but it won’t be here until after June 10th so I was going to just get a few so we would have some sooner. I called my sister and asked her if she wanted me to order a few for her but then we got to talking about how this one local girl that hatches her own sells out within the hour selling them at $15 a piece and she also has deposits on all of her turkeys for thanksgiving at $150 each. Sooooo I ordered 40 of them and plan to sell them. So if everyone is nuts in your area like mine there’s that idea too.
    Anyways just thought I would share, here’s the link. I’m not sure when the sale ends

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/non-sexed-surplus-rare-turkey-special-product-1169.html

Sfgwife and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info! Good idea!

Jessica84 likes this.

3. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

If only I wasn't in the Newcastle quarantine zone!

Moers kiko boars and Jessica84 like this.
  4. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Yeah I don’t get the restriction on bringing birds in. Totally get and agree with none leaving the area but why not let them come in? There are people who do raise poultry just to eat

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Just to be silly & funny...
    Turkey flu????? (rofl) i mean we have swine flu, bird flu, chicken pox, so why not????? Lol(rofl)(rofl)(rofl)

6. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    This is NOT even nice! Lol! And that is awesome you can get that for a thanksgiving bird there! Here i am lucky to get $50 for one. Ugh.

7. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Lol what do you mean this isn’t nice?
    People are extremely nuts here right now, but turkeys have always been high. I’ve seen some go threw the sale a few times when I took some of my kids down and then have gone for $100-120. The only crap part on the sale is they take 25% commission out to sell there for poultry. But it is handy for old mean roosters you would rather not have to try and eat lol

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  8. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Showin me the sale. Hahahhaa! I have bb turkey poults and i also have some heritage poults right now. Full grown turkeys are lucky to get $60 here on cl and at auction usually $50. And about the same for a dressed bird.

9. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    We had a remedy for Nasty Roosters..lol. we played badminton with them. They either changed their ways, or we had chicken(rooster) n noodles for dinner! Yum!

Iluvlilly! and Jessica84 like this.
  10. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Lol I love turkeys!!! They are incredibly stupid but are so much fun. I do like the broad breasted more but they never seem to last long so they are a heart ache waiting to happen. We had a royal palm and a black Spanish but lost them a few months ago to a stray dog. I’m still upset about it.
    Moers the chickens (except for my Millie fluers) are the kids. So when they come in, it seems to always be poor Savanna, with blood running down her leg and she says sell it, I sell it. I guess it also keeps the odd mixed breed thing they have going even more odd because then they get a new rooster to add to the hens.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  11. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Lordy yes on the stoopid! Until they are about four months old you hold your breath every time you go up to check them.... expectin someone to commit suicide. Eesh!

Iluvlilly! and Jessica84 like this.
  12. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Oh I know! I’m kinda excited but also dreading it. I still have some of my stalls up for kidding so I think what I’m going to do is split them into batches of 10. With that pair one took off pecking the other ones head and it was so stupid it just stood there and let him do it! I was shocked on that. But I figure with the groups I can keep a better eye on everyone. Savanna of course wants to keep them all forever lol

Sfgwife likes this.
  13. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Ours go for diving accidents when they go in public. :/.

Jessica84 likes this.
  14. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Oh no! They are defiantly very.........special animals. But that might be why I like them so much lol I always seem to like the odd and special animals lol
    Well the sale is over. My sister in law came over yesterday and told me that my brother was upset she didn’t order any and I told her don’t worry I got you covered! Lol they have a coyote problem right now so they want me to fully raise 10 for them to be butchered. I’m not sure that will go over well with Savanna so we will see.

15. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    IMG_2062.jpg
    Got my babies! I am BERY happy with this place. I was nervous that I would get all the same breed but they gave me 10 each or black Spanish (I know not black slate because they didn’t have any available lol) Royal palms, bourbon red and grey slate. So they seemed to go out of their way to mix them up. All were alive when I got them. A few a little sleepy acting but after 10 minutes wrapped up in a towel on a heating pad they were perfect.
    The sale is over but for anyone thinking about ordering from cackle I do recommend it. I used to order chicks from other places and have never had 100% alive when I got them, and that was chickens not even sensitive turkeys.
    So let the fun and games begin! I already want to keep them all lol

Sfgwife and ksalvagno like this.
  16. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Awwwww sweet! We got bb turks from there and are very happy too. Ised hoover for cx and never again! We lost 13 the first week a d we are not new to raising birds.

Jessica84 likes this.
  17. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Yeah I think I’ll stick with this place. I was already liking the fact they were 3rd generation family ran but I’m really happy with these birds so far. They are so very healthy. Already had one try to commit suicide though :head smash: I had a very shallow pan, it was actually one of those plastic sand which containers and we found him upside down in it downing. So off I went to the feed store to get the water bottles lol

18. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    We clean and put big rocks in ours. We use a big pan though so they can at least get to the sides. The diving accidents here come from the trough. Ugh! Paul got me a snazzy new self waterer. The wells in it are not deep. So may e that will help... if he ever gets it hooked up.

19. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    @Calistar did you hear we are Newcastle free now???!!! Our fair is canceled this year but hopefully all this madness will be over nectar year so my kids to show poultry. I always thought it was fun and more relaxed then the larger livestock

Sfgwife likes this.
  20. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

Oh that's awesome!!! Has the quarantine been lifted for all of California then? Maybe next year will be the year I finally get turkeys lol!