The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today my Farrier pulled my mares shoes for the winter. Last year she was very tender for 6-8 weeks after pulling her shoes. So...I asked if there was anything we could do to help with the tenderness. He suggested applying turpentine to her soles. Just so happened I had some turpentine which he applied after her trim. After a few minutes she got a little antsi. About five minutes later she was trotting in circles and kicking. Then she'd stop and continue kicking and stomping her hind feet. Ears pinned as if in pain and very irritated. This went on for about 10 minutes, then she seemed ok.

Not liking the results, I researched turpentine uses for horses online and discovered that the treatment is to be done with Venice turpentine, a resin. The jug I have is white spirit turpentine, a solvent. Hmm.....now I'm worried I may have hurt her feet worse! Anyone have any insight to this mistake? Will the solvent turpentine cause any trouble?

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
It might dry her feet out and cause cracking. I'd scrub her well with glycerin to clean it out and moisturize. Keep watch for drying.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kind of what I thought. She's conditioned and I treated her today with Sole soothe as she is tender.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I have seen farriers use it before when a nail would get close to the quick. They would pull the nail and drip a few drops into the nail hole and the soreness would be gone within about 5 to 10 minutes. I would not recommend using it all over the hoof though. I agree with the washing as much off as you can. They actually sale the venice turpentine in easy to apply jars with brushes.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts