The Goat Spot Forum banner

141 - 160 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
That is awesome, very clean. I have banded horns on my meat goats before just to keep them short. I did not do the surgical banding though. I may try this in the future. With basic banding they do grow back. Will these grow back do you think?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hello all!

I have a wether just over 2 months old. We disbudded him when he was about 4 days old. His horns are growing back, one is small and stubby but the other is just like a normal horn. We’ve never had this problem before besides last year when all three of our kids horns grew back. But every year before that we haven’t had any trouble. Thankfully the kids that were born last year found a good forever home despite the weird looking horns.
The trouble is I would like to show this weather (his name is Otis). Does a castration band work if you put it at the very base of the horn? I would like to avoid surgery if at all possible, of course.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
First look at your rules for showing. A lot of times it will say something about 1" long and blunted tip. You may not have to do anything but blunt the tip. Our fair does NOT have this rule. I had the same issue with my sons wether. Out of all the ones to goof on! Anyways I tried to band his horns the "right" way and I could not get the bands to stay in the cut that I made. So I put the bands on anyways, they slid up a bit but did do what needed to be done. If didn't end up as nice as other peoples but my son can show him
IMG_3002.jpg
IMG_3001.jpg

I did talk to one person who banded some cows horns and he puts duct tape on the band for a few days, just till the band starts to dig in and will stay put. You can try that and see if it helps

·
Registered
131 Posts
First look at your rules for showing. A lot of times it will say something about 1" long and blunted tip. You may not have to do anything but blunt the tip. Our fair does NOT have this rule. I had the same issue with my sons wether. Out of all the ones to goof on! Anyways I tried to band his horns the "right" way and I could not get the bands to stay in the cut that I made. So I put the bands on anyways, they slid up a bit but did do what needed to be done. If didn't end up as nice as other peoples but my son can show him View attachment 159623 View attachment 159625
I did talk to one person who banded some cows horns and he puts duct tape on the band for a few days, just till the band starts to dig in and will stay put. You can try that and see if it helps
Thank you! I think I would rather try the bands than leave it. But that's really helpful. I might make an indent and then put duct tape over it to make sure it stays.

·
Super Moderator
58,223 Posts
This is a very old thread that I'm bringing back up to top for someone who was asking about this thread. No need to respond to anything since the original poster is long gone.

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
I have done this though and may soon be doing it again. I raised a young horned buckling to sell for Ramadan and he turned out to be one of the nicest homebrew bucklings yet.

One tip, use a flat tribander elastic to keep the smaller ring from rolling.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is a very old thread that I'm bringing back up to top for someone who was asking about this thread. No need to respond to anything since the original poster is long gone.
I'm interested in this... So how old should they be to band the horns.. Is there alot of blood.. I just read the part that said they put cuts in the horns to get the bands to stay... I'm only one week into owning goats.. 2wks and 3wks old. The breeder didn't disbud them, and so I looking into how to solve a horn issue.. One already has little nubs poking out

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Yes, if you want them hornless please disbud them right away! Banding horns is not for the faint of heart or for the inexperienced. It also has a terrible tendency to make goats head-shy and even terrified of people because it is very painful for a prolonged period of time. If they knock the horns off early it will be very bloody and can leave an open sinus cavity. I banded a yearling's scur last summer because it was growing into her head. She was in obvious pain the whole time the band was on (maybe 2-3 weeks?). When the scur broke off it left a raw, painful, and very bloody wound. It took me months to be able to get anywhere near that poor goat again. She's still suspicious of me and does not want me to touch her head. She used to be very affectionate. I personally see banding horns as a "last resort" measure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
At that age your younglings can still be disbudded if you can find someone to do it quickly.
I have pit a few calls into a few vets, no one has returned my messages. I wish I had the nerve to do it myself.. But I have never done, or seen done in person.. Just my luck, I do it wrong. I have watched lots of videos, but everyone says if not burned long enough or properly, they gets spurs or improper horn growth, or you can burn them... Too many scary variables.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Disbudding was probably the most scariest thing to do. I’m a total do it yourself person but reading about fried brains and no way was I going to try it. After I was showed how I was absolutely shocked how easy it is.
To tell the truth I would trust another goat person before a vet. Almost every single horror story I have heard with disbudding has been with a vet. I would contact your local 4H group or even FFA and see if you can get someone to help you. Worse case message someone on here you trust and use FaceTime and have them walk you threw it.
As easy as handing the horns turned out to be, I do like disbudding more. Don’t get me wrong I would not blink a eye pulling out the bander for horns in the future but kids do seem to take disbudding fairly well

·
Registered
478 Posts
After I was showed how I was absolutely shocked how easy it is.
Really? Every time I see it done, I'm reaffirmed that there's no way I'd want to do it myself!

Every horror story I've heard is about a vet, too. And I agree that the banding should be a last resort. Is there a local 4-H group you could get in touch with? They might be able to recommend someone who could disbud for you. The woman who does my disbudding every year is a 4-H leader and she does a great job.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Lol no not everyone can do it. And that’s ok! But for me it wasn’t the doing that I had a issue with it was doing it and harming the kid ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
@ksalvagno thank you! I have read through the whole thread and am not convinced I could cut below the horn ridge. :hide: I'm too much of a scardy cat, and I can't imagine being able to confine their head firmly enough to do the cutting safely.

@Suzanne_Tyler if I band without cutting, and use duct tape to hold the band in place - do I need to add a band, lower, every so often? This is a 6 month old Nubian Saanen cross. We burned her twice for disbudding, a few weeks apart, and she still has full horns! These are not scurs. Saanens are so much harder to disbud!! I'm hoping I can do a better job banding after reading this thread.

We have attempted banding before (well my son did) and it was successful in about half of the kids... but there was a lot of crying in the farm yard. Do multiple bands really make it less painful? The original poster talked about cutting off circulation faster. Any experience here?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I have been working for 5 years to get this Nubian Saanen mix and she was a single doeling. Of course she would be the one to end up with horns we couldn't burn! LOL.

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
Wow um I'm not sure what to say here. Saanen goats aren't that hard to disbud, maybe your iron wasn't getting hot enough?
I band when horn growth stabilizes at just over a year old.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I’ve read in other places when researching and learning how to disbud that Saanens frequently require two burnings 1-2 weeks apart. That has been our experience as well.

Because of my health, my adult son, who is less experienced with disbudding was in charge this year. He was about 50% successful with the Nubians the first time, but unsuccessful with Angel (Saanen mix) twice.

Throughout this thread it is recommended to band the horns at about 6 months...The earlier you start the less time it takes to fall off. (And I’m thinking the less time they are in pain). What is the advantage of waiting until after a year?

thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've read in other places when researching and learning how to disbud that Saanens frequently require two burnings 1-2 weeks apart. That has been our experience as well.

Because of my health, my adult son, who is less experienced with disbudding was in charge this year. He was about 50% successful with the Nubians the first time, but unsuccessful with Angel (Saanen mix) twice.

Throughout this thread it is recommended to band the horns at about 6 months...The earlier you start the less time it takes to fall off. (And I'm thinking the less time they are in pain). What is the advantage of waiting until after a year?

thanks
I am also wondering (not only about multiple bands, and when is the best age) but pain control. Certain pain killers are blood thinners, and I certainly dont want my kids crying all day...
I get very mixed messages on how effective bands are and if painful or not... Maybe every goat is differnt, and there is not one true real age, length, outcome, or solution to this banding method

·
Registered
179 Posts
We did our doeling’s horns this morning and the tutorial was perfect. I was super nervous, but it went just like it said it would. The hardest part for us was the lidocaine. It took 3 of us to hold her head down to get it numb.

I gave her Banamine so we wouldn’t have crying when we finished, but she still cried some. She seems to have stopped now.

Our doeling is 9mo old. I’m confident that with a little time for the double banding to work, we can get past the painful part. With Banamine to take the edge off, I think she’ll be fine. They will be tender, of course, but I don’t see why she would be head shy or traumatized. The process wasn’t bad at all.

We’ve tried just banding and taping it down without pain meds. We didn’t know it was going to hurt. I will never do that again! Not very effective and very painful. It only worked about 50% of the time.

141 - 160 of 163 Posts