The Goat Spot Forum banner

Twas the night before Valentine's DAy

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  goatheaven 
#1 ·
Twas the night before Valentine's Day and all through the barn, every goat was stirring except for Sienna who was in the barn. This is when I knew we would have a busy night. My blind goat Sienna was close to kidding so I was checking every hour that night when I also received another surprise my Great Pyr found. A 3 week old puppy someone must have thrown out and it wandered into my pasture. I live way off the road. So at that time I also had to get that little one settled. So up all night. Sienna kidded at 3 a.m. with a doeling and buckling all doing well. This is when I saw that another doe the pic I posted earlier was fussing in the barn. So off to work Valentine's Day and of course I have to work late at a middle school dance. I spend all day at work looking for a foster home for the pup as I am way too busy and leaving for 2 conferences soon. Found a foster home for the new pup and hubby called me at the dance to let me know View (goat) was in hard labor 5 p.m. but nothing coming out. He went in and felt the baby's back end so he had to turn and deliver. A girl! Then she waited forever and out pops a buckling. More wait time and then out slides a tiny buckling! View still will not give up. Hubby is concerned maybe he hurt her when he went in the first time. She still is pushing and nothing so he goes back in and feels another back end so he turns this one and pulls out another buckling. So we think we're done with 4. Yes I said 4 kids. I finally arrive home to help at 9:30 p.m. of course tired and a poor hubby who has not eaten but been feeding animals and birthing goats all night. Tried to bottle feed 2 while 2 stayed with mom. Put those 2 out and brought the other 2 in and fed them a little. Put everyone back with Mom for the rest of the night. Hope all is well with them now, I am getting ready to check. I am exhausted and going to be on my way to work in a minute. And yes, now I have 7 bucklings and 2 doelings!

See less See more
#8 ·
Well it looks like the third one born may not make it. We worried since it was so small and weak so we were bottle feeding it but left it with mom. Temps were in the 60's today so we didn't worry about that. Hubby fed the baby several times today while I was at work but by the time I got home the kid seemed to have lost his sucking reflex and was cold around the mouth and nose. We worked for hours to get him perkier and able to eat. I believe something must be wrong inside. So we put him with the others to nuzzle and will see what morning brings but I know it will not be good news. I'll get pics of the other kids tomorrow. The other three are extremely healthy. We have blue yes and I think polled for at least two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.