The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
I used a regular human baby bottle nipple. I just just a TIIINY bit to make the orifice bigger. Pritchard nipple is also good.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I agree, Pritchard ones (red nipple, yellow ring) are the most commonly used. Some also use black lamb nipples, which might be the ones you are using, but they are fairly large.

Is he at least trying to latch on? Interested at all? You can use a blanket over his head to stimulate his momma's dark flank, or try inching by his tail to get him to want to suckle.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
You want to get colostrum in him within 12 hours at least. I had a kid that was so stubborn, I syringed an ounce into him. Finally, he latched on. :)

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Well, I cant help you with the milking problem! We have standards over here. Is there any way that you can have him nurse on momma for the first few hours, just so he can get colostrum?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He goes to her udder and push up hard against it w his nose and practically has teat in his mouth but doesn't suck keeps his mouth open

·
14,615 Posts
Her teats may be small but he's going to go downhill fast without colostrum.
Can you tube him?
If not just milk as much as you can into a syringe sleeve, draw it up & squirt it slowly down the side of his mouth.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Some do this when they aren't hungry. They don't understand that they need colostrum within 12 hours!! I would syringe like Nancy suggested. Make sure to go slow and that he is swallowing; you don't want him to get it in his lungs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I finally got milk out of her and Gave him about 3mls via syringe. Not sure if that's too much or not enough. How often do I try to get him to drink from mama?

Great job! He can have a few more all in one sitting. Maybe another couple in a few hrs, you never know, he might figure it out.

·
14,615 Posts
Oops hit the wrong button, I intended to quote with a reply not edit:eek:
So I didnt really edit, just answered your question.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Open the kids mouth, put it over the teat and squeeze a little colostrum in the mouth. Then let go, tickle the tailhead. The baby may get stimulated enough, to try to find it, repeat, until the kid gets the idea.

Does the Does udder look full of milk? Is she a first timer? For small teats, which come with first timers for me. I kinda strip downward from the top of the teat downward to get milk out. It takes a while, but, it will get better each time they kid. But it is important, to go out every couple of hours, to work with the baby.

If the baby doesn't have suck reflex, give a bo_se shot 1/8th cc to 1/4 cc 1 x. Depending on size of kid

To train the suck reflex, I put colostrum in the syringe(no needle) and very slowly at the back corner of the mouth , feed colostrum. At the same time, I place my index finger in the mouth mimicking momma's teat. I will slightly pull my finger in and out,leaving it in the mouth, plus have someone rubbing the tailhead area at the same time. When you get that suck reflex, try the technique I mentioned and put the baby on momma's teat. The kid needs to be taught or you will have a bottle baby. Unless you prefer it that way. ;)

·
Registered
30,577 Posts
he may need help stimulating his sucking reflex..put some honey on your finger and stick in on the way back of his tongue to stimulate that reflex..do this a few times..have a bottle with moms warm colostrum ready with honey on the nipple..once he is sucking well on your finger slip the nipple in..he will taste the honey first then the milk...once he is strong you can work on getting him on mom if he is to be dam raised..patients and calmness is needed...they can wear you down!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just went to check on them and brother is eating so put little Guy who needed help near udder and he did it on his own. Woo hoo! I do not want to bottle feed if I don't have to!!!

This is her first time. My 2nd time with first time mothers (any goat mama for that matter lol) but first one was Boer. Wasn't prepared as much as I thought I was with this Nigerian girl.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Just went to check on them and brother is eating so put little Guy who needed help near udder and he did it on his own. Woo hoo! I do not want to bottle feed if I don't have to!!!

This is her first time. My 2nd time with first time mothers (any goat mama for that matter lol) but first one was Boer. Wasn't prepared as much as I thought I was with this Nigerian girl.
Yes~!, that sounds great :) :cool:

Go out, every so often, to ensure the kid gets enough to eat during the night, until you are sure the baby is getting enough,feel his tummy that will let you know for sure. Encourage the kid to nurse, if by chance,he already nursed when you weren't looking, the belly is a good indicator. If you put him up to the teat and he does not want any, check the belly.

Congrats by the way.

Those First timers, are a pain to milk that is for sure. ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts