The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You remember the post on Snoopy that died last week. She left twins boys that are now 10 weeks old. They eat a little at feeding time though I don’t really know how much. Yesterday at evening feed one of them had a dirty behind. It’s time for their Coccidia prevention/ treatment so I gave all my babies their first dose. This morning both were late coming in to feed pen for the babies so I had to go get them. They moved slow like their mama use to do and always have done so. The one with the dirty behind I caught her and did a famacha on both of them. Eye score 5, a death white. Since I giving Corid what else can I give to help the thiamine deficiency while taking Corrid? I did feed this morning a few green oak leaves. They are small for their age but mama was a small goat also. One will go about 18 -20 pounds now and the other around 15-16 pounds. maybe I can get a scale on them this evening for more accurate weight. I can’t give b complex along with Corrid can I?

·
Administrator
92,457 Posts
They are anemic, which means, they need an iron supplement.
Are they showing signs of polio?
If so, it is thiamine deficiency.

If they are displaying polio signs.
Stop corid and give thiamine. Otherwise continue the corid.

They may have worms, as to why they are anemic. So need to be treated.
A fecal may be wise.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are anemic, which means, they need an iron supplement.
Are they showing signs of polio?
If so, it is thiamine deficiency.

If they are displaying polio signs.
Stop corid and give thiamine. Otherwise continue the corid.

They may have worms, as to why they are anemic. So need to be treated.
A fecal may be wise.
If worms should I give both Cydectin and the Valbazen? Or would you do a shot of ivermectin for BP? The reason I ask this is I think that may have been the mama’s problem that killed her. If she was severely over loaded then a shot might would have been better, who knows? Maybe too much at once.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If worms should I give both Cydectin and the Valbazen? Or would you do a shot of ivermectin for BP? The reason I ask this is I think that may have been the mama’s problem that killed her. If she was severely over loaded then a shot might would have been better, who knows? Maybe too much at once.
They are not showing polio signs yet but I know it can change quickly. Just the one with a little diarrhea. I haven’t had time to get back down there today and will be around five before I can feed. While on vacation 2 weeks ago and gone out west, we have very high winds and it blew several trees over my north fence line in the branch and wooded section. Thank God none tore the fence down yet but out of 5 trees, four are leaning over the fence , leaning on another tree. This is the dangerous kind of cutting down. They have to be “engineered” before cutting as I don’t want to cut the trees they are leaning against. I’ve got 2 cut up but 3 to go and it’s almost ( it not) a 100f and the AC went out on both of my chain saws. lol . At 75 years old, it is not the thing I really want to start the day with but has to be done. I have also 2 barns that I lost 4-5 sheets of tin on between the two and have not even look at them yet. One is at least 12 feet on the eve, can’t get any body that wants to do this kind of work now days , so I just work from about 8 till 3 every day until jobs are done,

·
Super Moderator
35,589 Posts
Wow..im sorry..what a trial life can be. I would do that fecal asap...and then deworm. If valbazen is still working good for you..give them that...1 cc per 10 pounds. start addressing anemia asap.
No B complex while on corid but they can have B12.
Pen them up so they done need to use energy walking for food and water. Leave browse food, and hay along with loose minerals and water in the pen. Keep them eating. Dyne or dark green smoothies, tummy tamer..all good supports.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you started cocci prevention, then finish it. But I wouldn't add any other wormer until they are done with that treatment and a fecal has been done.

I give you a lot of credit for all that you do at age 75. But it probably also keeps you healthy and able to move.
Ok, I gave 2nd dose Corrid this evening and also a little red cell. They ate a little and quit eating and just stand off. I fed green oak leaves to one and he ate a good many for his size. The other one ate more at the trough but only a couple of green leaves. I pen them in tonight in the coral with fresh water and a little hay.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I gave 2nd dose Corrid this evening and also a little red cell. They ate a little and quit eating and just stand off. I fed green oak leaves to one and he ate a good many for his size. The other one ate more at the trough but only a couple of green leaves. I pen them in tonight in the coral with fresh water and a little hay.
this morning both were laying down in small creep feeder pen. The bum was nasty scours so I cleaned her up and took temp. 99.9 f - i gave a little scour halt, probotics powder mixed w/ water, 15ml black flat beer and her red cell, plus her next Corrid dose. We fed the big goats and after they went back to pasture, the little scouring goat got up and walked in big pen and both were calling I think either mama or the herd. I’m keeping them in for another 2-3 days until the cocci prevention/treatment is thru, that will be Friday. I did put them down a little hay and some green leaves. The little scouring goat stick her head thru the fence and ate some weed that was green. This was a better sign than what I saw yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
35,589 Posts
Did you run a fecal? Give dewormer other than coccidia meds?

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you run a fecal? Give dewormer other than coccidia meds?
No other wormer yet given but Corrid. I couldn’t get a fecal on him but I did on his brother. He is popping BB’s (little pellets). I have to carry wife to get her medicine and will try to get back in time to see if I can get a fecal. If they don’t use the bathroom at that age, how do you get a fecal? Maybe a dog hook?

·
Super Moderator
35,589 Posts
Sometimes we have to treat based on other indicators. Anemia, bottle jaw, weakness., ect...I would go ahead and treat them for parasites even without a fecal. I don't prefer to dump chemicals in them willy nilly but when they are this bad more then likely dealing with more then just coccidia. I would also do tummy tamer a few times a day

Best wishes

·
Administrator
92,457 Posts
If you can’t get a fecal sample for the goat. Just go ahead and worm.

If the goat has a large worm load, it will kill the goat just waiting it out.
Especially being anemic.

You have been given great advice here.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you can’t get a fecal sample for the goat. Just go ahead and worm.

If the goat has a large worm load, it will kill the goat just waiting it out.
Especially being anemic.

You have been given great advice here.
Thanks, I went down just a bit ago ( as soon as I got home) and he is very weak. I gave him Cydectin, probotics , 3rd dose of Corrid and about 20ml black flat beer. If he makes it through the night , he may make it. I put him in the barn as it looks like rain and I don’t want him wet. Temp was up a bit to 100.3 f.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sometimes we have to treat based on other indicators. Anemia, bottle jaw, weakness., ect...I would go ahead and treat them for parasites even without a fecal. I don't prefer to dump chemicals in them willy nilly but when they are this bad more then likely dealing with more then just coccidia. I would also do tummy tamer a few times a day

Best wishes
Can tummy tamer be made up and kept on hand or does it have to be fresh?

·
Super Moderator
35,589 Posts
Tummy Tamer really should be fresh. You can make all the days doses at once and give throughout the day..but each dY should be made fresh .

Best wishes

Reactions: toth boer goats
1 - 20 of 28 Posts