Twins or triplets?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by shanzone2001, Nov 12, 2009.

1. shanzone2001

shanzone2001 New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Do ND does usually have 2 or 3 babies the second time around? Both my girls had 2 the first time with their previous owner.
    Thanks!
    Shan

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It depends on the does' background...if mom has had twins and trips, it's likely that your does will too.

My girls will alternate their kid numbers, or they will be consistent with twins. My older retired doe had a single her first time and trips the second time. Its a "surprise" when it comes to the numbers.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup -- it really depends on their genetics.

twins and triplets are not uncommon and quads can happen easily in the ND breed.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It really all depends...genetics plays a part, how well cared for they are, etc. I have seen someone with goats that didn't feed them real well and the does always threw singles. I have seen does that have been out of a set of quads and the doe will throw those high numbers on her kiddings. But it really just depends. I think singles are pretty common for FF, and then I have noticed my does on their second freshening will generally throw twins or triplets.

5. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    As everyone said, it depends on their background. What was the mother and fathers litter sizes? What was she born in? No guarantees anyway. I've had a doe go from a single to quads, others producing triplets almost all the time. I've had a first freshener have triplets her first go around. And I also have quite a few who have singles either as first timers or regularly. Just depends.