The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound ridiculous but knowing it can happen in cats I'm asking...

Can a goat become pregnant in the same cycle by two different bucks? We have a Pygmy Billy and a Nubian Billy and use them with does of their respective breeds.

Our Pygmy doe that just delivered two bucklings. One has the delicate pixie head and ears that is typical of her Pygmy kids. The other is significantly taller, longer legs has what are long obviously Nubian ears. If I were pressed to say I would swear they have different sires - one planned and one oops.

Help? Thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here they are... This nanny does not care for her kids and we were at the store when she delivered. Got a bit of colostrum in both boys but the Nubian looking boy (left) is pretty weak. The next 24 hours will tell, and I will be sleep deprived.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wooo look at the size difference.
Yes, it is significant and although hard to tell in the photo, the smaller boy's ears are much shorter and stick out to the sides. Even the head/muzzle shape is different. Both did nurse again although they don't really suckle. This is much more worrisome than our spring bottle babies.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you give them BoSe or selenium?
Thay are both adorable :) I hope they do well !
No, we only have colostrum and electrolytes on hand... was all we needed in the spring. If they pull through the night I'll run to town and look for those in the morning.

This is the doe's second kidding and I was really hoping she would get the hang of mothering this time. We had to bottle a few in Jan & Feb since the temps were cold and we don't have a barn. Can't effectively or safely heat the run-in.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Not sure where to buy the selenium/e gel...I ordered mine from Jeffers....maybe your local feed store?
Or you could get BoSe from your vet...

Mine got a pea sized amount of the gel right after birth....and they were great. I hope that is all yours need!

Bottle feeding in Jan/Feb....must have been fun...LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not sure where to buy the selenium/e gel...I ordered mine from Jeffers....maybe your local feed store?
Or you could get BoSe from your vet...

Mine got a pea sized amount of the gel right after birth....and they were great. I hope that is all yours need!

Bottle feeding in Jan/Feb....must have been fun...LOL
OH, thank you! You jiggled my memory with your comment about the pea size dose! We do have some paste in the tack room... Probiotic and nutrient boost for kids. And yes, the winter kids lived in our spare bathroom for their first 3 months. What a mess! At least with warm temps now these two can move outside to a small pen with igloo shelter once they are stronger and on fewer feedings per day.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts