The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well of course we had an engagement today our neighbor ck'd on our girls this morning around 7 all was okay, but when he cam back a few hrs later we had twins......that were not with Mom! We spent all day in the barn trying to get them to bond.....I really think the kids know they are rejected.....I blame the LGD for this.....I really believe she cleaned the kids and took them from Mom.....so now they are in my house in a crate with bottle at my side......2 standard poodles and a hound standing vigil. Any advice comments or .........? I have a buck and doe

image-2426119313.jpg

Attachments

·
570 Posts
Congrats!!! So cute

·
14,615 Posts
Get colostrum from their dam. If you dont have a tube feeder milk some into the sleeve of a 3 or 6 better yet 12 cc syringe & dribble it down the side of their little mouths.
I just get it fresh from dam & dont heat it. Do this every few hours; they cant get too much especially in first 12 hrs.
Then; lock kids & dam in together for a few days where LGD cant help.
Rub any kind of blood or afterbirth on heads & butts of kids.
Congrats on healthy kids!

Just re-read where you have bottles. How's that going?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats on the twins. I am assuming it is mom's colostrum you are feeding.
I was able to hold the Mom against the barn wall and get the kids to nurse it gout a whole lot of struggle.....well, I take that back at times she just would try and lay down! The doe last fed on Mom around 2 so by 7 I was concerned .....couldn't get her to nurse on Mom so I brought them in for the night....they have sipped on the bottle.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE ON REJECTED TWINS!

Praise God, I know Mom knows they are her kids I am pleased that they are able to be loose in pen together she nurses them without being mean, she even lifts her leg or squats a little, smells their rear ends! She grunts more like the other Moms do too! I don't think I am ready to let them out in the pasture yet! They need more bonding time with the kids out of the metal crate!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My twin girl isn't thriving like the others I gave her 3cc of Red Cell every 4 hrs x 3 doses= 9cc over a 12 hr period. She is still pooping good, her urine is not a stream but more like a dribble. Today she is 4 days old seems more energetic than yesterday, I want to give her a dose of probiotics .... What do y'all think? I really think her rumen is working I could tell by seeing the milk come back up around her lips yesterday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts