Twisting hooves?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sonrise Farm, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Hey, I have a quick story to tell, and once you've read it, I would like you to tell me the diagnosis of this situation:

About 2 years into my goat keeping experience I had a nine month old Nubian doe, who got bred, and during her pregnancy her feet twisted--- (I think it may have been due to a calcuim deficiancy). She had a beautiful single doeling, but afterwards we had to put her down because the vet didn't know what to do and she could hardly walk anymore. what do you think was the cause of this problem and what could have been done about it?

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Re: Can you diagnose this problem?

What way did they twist? Where? All of her feet? Was she tested for CAE? Was she given BoSe? Copper?

Sorry for all the Q's but it helps figure out what went on.

3. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Re: Can you diagnose this problem?

This was like seven years back so I can't really tell yu a whole lot . . . it wasn't in her knees or anything, more her hooves, like the ankle was twisting. no I didn't test her for CAE. I think the hooves twisted inwardly . . . I 'think' she got free choice minerals . . . I 'think' . . . I don't even know what BoSe is. :doh:

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I am still learning about BoSe. But it is a mixture of vitamin E and selenium. I believe the E helps to absorb the selenium.

You can get BoSe from the vet. It's injectable. I am going to see if my vet will give it to me, but i highly doubt it.

Also there is a selenium/vitamin E gel through jeffers that can be given orally. This is the one I have now, but i find it hard to give the correct dosage. It just says 5cc per goat....

5. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    It sounds to me like a selenium deff too. I also have vit e and selenium gel. I have had to give it once so I am considering myself very lucky!!!!

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas